Question

Access denied to Synology NAS

• 25 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi Guys,

It seems the issue has already been submitted but I’m not clear regarding the resolution.

I have a Sonos Amp and a Synology NAS exposic a music folder.

It was working fine for years, but to make it more secure I have decided to create a specific user “sonos” on the NAS which has only RO access to the music folder.

In the Sonos App, I’ve removed the previous Music Library service, and recreate it with the new USER. Since this, I’m always receiving an Access Denied error message, when I have correctly typed the right User/Password pair.  I’ve tried also to put my NAS admin account with same error !

I really don’t know what to do to solve or even troubleshoot ! Please Help !!!

Didier

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@stevepow

I have a WD EX4100 NAS and just recently updated it to firmware 5.04.114.  After that, my Sonos couldn’t access my NAS music library, so I had to do the same thing you did and make the share Public.  I think the issue is on the NAS side given the recent firmware update.

I think you are right - I need to forward this issue to WD.

@stevepow 

I have a WD EX4100 NAS and just recently updated it to firmware 5.04.114.  After that, my Sonos couldn’t access my NAS music library, so I had to do the same thing you did and make the share Public.  I think the issue is on the NAS side given the recent firmware update.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I had a similar problem with a WD NAS and the only way it worked for me was to make the share public and enter nothing in the Name and Password fields in Sonos - somehow it is not getting the user name correct.  I’m now wondering if I needed to proceed the username with the domain as in domain\username to get it to work with security - nope, tried that, no go - cannot use a secured share, has to be public.  Would be nice if Sonos would provide some information on this...anywhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If one is working and the others aren’t try powering down the non-working ones then power them back up.

If that fixes it you may want to set static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos on the router’s DHCP page. Power down all Sonos, reboot router and controller and power up the Sonos gear.

Badge +1

Yeah I had to make turn that protocol on fixed issue??

sorry what did you do?

- I have 2 gen 1 play 5s and now have access denied after changing the password on my synology nas.

The play 3 however can access fine 

and the connect amp also denied

odd...

Yeah I had to make turn that protocol on fixed issue.  I had changed it when troubleshooting my backups and didn’t realize that was the communication medium for the Sonos...

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Start by making sure you have SMB v1 enabled on the NAS.

Check your system and path names to make sure they are only simple letter/number ones, avoid spaces, dashes and the like. Once working you can play with them.

Worst case hook it up as best you can and hit Sonos support directly after submitting a diagnostic, the contact page has 24x7 support options.