Access denied to NAS

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Me being a worrier about security is why I have a Raspberry Pi with a copy of my music on it running SMB v1 and my real NAS as secure as I can make it. Nothing sensitive on it at all, not even a common user name with the rest of my gear.
I've read your suggestion before, but I'd rather not have yet another duplicate of my music library to manage: It's already a small drama to have a library on a NAS, duplicates on MacBook, MacPro and USB stick for my car, and each device supporting only a subset of formats. Another copy means more trouble.

But then again: The Raspberry Pi could mount the music library read-only NFS v4 from the NAS over, and re-share it over SMB v1. And on a FreeNAS, you could skip the Raspberry Pi and do this in a purposely created Jail. Though that's taking it a bit far for the Sonos forum.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I set up a Pi as an SMB v2/3 to SMB v1 gateway the other day so I could post a how-to here, pretty simple. Doing a NFS to SMB v1 would be just as simple.

If you go with duplicate music libraries the rsync program is a fast and easy to keep them both in sync with no need for manual updates unless you want an instant sync. I have a hourly rsync check in my cron file to keep my photo album updated.

I post about the Pi solutions as they are cheap, quick and easy once someone has blazed a trail to follow. A lot of the details probably apply to other systems if they are Linux / Samba based.

Got started when WD abandoned my overpriced WD Live Drive and left it running old, buggy software. The Pi was an under $50 fix under half the price of any other option I found and was going to be supported for many years.

Still newer SMB support from Sonos would be good for the vast majority of folks, Linux and NAS folks might like NFS support better.
UPDATE
The knowledgeable people from the FreeNAS forum came to the rescue with the right solution.

For your Sonos to work with FreeNAS v11, you need to reduce your FreeNAS security level by enabling a, now per default disabled, proven vulnerable protocol, abandoned by Microsoft themselves back in 2007. If you're feeling lucky, below the settings to go back to Windows Vista grade security:

The above is what worked for me. Nothing sensitive on it anyway and it is only my local network has access. I would prefer for SONOS to upgrade NTLM versions so we don't have to have this configured as such...