"Access Denied" on one device but not another

• Contributor I
  • 6 replies

Hi, all!  I have an S1 system with a Playbar and a Play:5 Gen1, I’m using the S1 Android app for control, and my music library is on an SMB share.

The app sees the devices and the music library and plays everything perfectly on the Playbar, but when I try to play a track on the Play:5 I get “Unable to play track-name - access to //computer/folder denied”.

I’ve tried the usual stuff -- deleting and adding the music library, power-cycling the devices, rebooting the router, switching from wireless to wired network connection.  I always get the same behavior.

It’s been a while since I used the Play:5 so I don’t know exactly when this behavior appeared.  Sometime in the last five months, though.

Any ideas for how I can go about debugging this?  Thanks!

11 replies

Have you tried re-indexing the library to a different ‘associated product’ to see if that might resolve the issue. If you look in your ‘About Box’ in the Sonos App  you will see which device is the current associated product. Power it off temporarily and then re-index your local library share and then power on your device and try playing the tracks again to the Play:5 and see if that fixes things.

Thanks, Ken -- that’s a good idea.

When I tried it, the share was inaccessible to the Play:5, so there may be a networking issue.  The Play:5 responds to pings just fine, so I’ll look for problems at a higher level.

Thanks, Ken -- that’s a good idea.

When I tried it, the share was inaccessible to the Play:5, so there may be a networking issue.  The Play:5 responds to pings just fine, so I’ll look for problems at a higher level.

Ah okay, it might just be an IP addressing issue that will (hopefully) be resolved with a reboot of your local network and the devices perhaps?🤞

Thanks to beyond-expectations effort by several Sonos support agents, it looks like we might know what’s going on now.

There appears to be an incompatibility between older Sonos software and very recent versions of Samba (possibly 4.15.5 and later).  Tier 2 support has seen it before, and is taking another look at it now.

To my knowledge, the highest version of Samba supported is 3.1 and that was only recently released in Sonos S2. Sonos S1 only supports Samba version 1. But as there were no release notes published, my knowledge is assumption, nothing else. 

You’re correct as far as I know, except that those are SMB/CIFS protocol version numbers, not Samba version numbers.  My installation of Samba 4.15.7 runs SMB 1 in order to support my Sonos S1 gear.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Sounds like the issue described here: 

Maybe unix extensions = no in the smb.conf will solve it for you?

Wow!  That seems to have solved the problem!  Thanks very much for tracking that down.  I wonder why the Tier 2 support folks didn’t mention this to the Tier 1 folks?

I’ll have to make sure this doesn’t cause any problems for the Mac users in the household, but for now things are looking much better.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Glad I could help. Maybe the Tier 2 folks have not fully investigated the issue yet… 

I assume you are not entering your shares from the Mac via SMB1? If so I believe unix extensions should not have an impact. As far as I understand it, it’s an SMB1 only setting. 

Edit: I just realized a Sonos employee was replying in the linked thread and he clearly knew what was going on so maybe their Tier 1 folks have not been briefed about this issue.

I certainly hope the Macs aren’t connecting with SMB1. I’ll check things out to be sure.

The Macs are accessing the shares without difficulty, so I think this problem is solved.  Thanks for the help!