Answered

A few connection issues

• 13 March 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi,

I’ve been having a few issues since connecting more speakers to my set up a few weeks ago.

Was originally running a play bar and have added two Sonos 1 speakers as well as a boost.

The bar works fine, as does one of the Sonos 1 speakers.

One of my speakers is placed in my kitchen and I’ve had numerous issues. Sometimes the app won’t connect to Spotify/Apple Music, sometimes the speaker (kitchen) drops out when I have it grouped with the rest of the house and sometimes it disappears from the app. It usually takes a few attempts to get the speaker to group.

Earlier I managed around half an hour or playback then the speaker began to cut out every few seconds. This was playing via air play but I’ve had the same issue playing through the Sonos app. It then disappeared from the app and I added it again and I’ve managed 20 mins uninterrupted (while grouped with another speaker).

Wi fi is terrible in the area that the problem speaker is placed but I thought having the boost would help. Have a feeling it’s something to do with my dodgy wi fi but thought I’d still ask the question.

Submitted a diagnostic (220618032) but it was working perfectly at the time I sent so I’m not sure how much this will show.

Tried switching the channel through the Sonos app but it didn’t help earlier when the speaker wasn’t found in the app.

Cheers
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 14 March 2019, 19:12

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. Still having the same issue.

The boost is about 5ft for the router. No other wireless devices plugged in when getting the issue.

It’s mainly the kitchen speaker but on this channel all speakers seems to be dropping out...

Most recent diagnostic:

Thanks for trying that. Your kitchen unit is still not showing up as it doesn't have a network address. At this point I think it would be best to troubleshoot this live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number is found here.
View original

8 replies

“Caught” the problem... here is a diagnostic sent at the time the “kitchen” speaker is grouped with the “bedroom” speaker but there is no playback through the “kitchen” 1385125563
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
“Caught” the problem... here is a diagnostic sent at the time the “kitchen” speaker is grouped with the “bedroom” speaker but there is no playback through the “kitchen” 1385125563

Hi chris.b,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your Boost is having a hard time staying in wireless communication with your speakers. As a result, your kitchen speaker has lost its network address. Please start by changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. This should reduce interference from nearby networks and may help. It's also a good idea to make sure your Boost is not too close to your router or other wireless electronics.
Thanks for your help. Unfortunately this has not solved the problem. Still having the same issue.

The boost is about 5ft for the router. No other wireless devices plugged in when getting the issue.

It’s mainly the kitchen speaker but on this channel all speakers seems to be dropping out...

Most recent diagnostic:

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Most recent diagnostic:

Thanks for trying that. Your kitchen unit is still not showing up as it doesn't have a network address. At this point I think it would be best to troubleshoot this live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number is found here.
Will do, thank you
Just a thought, could this because I power the kitchen unit off when not in use? I also power the beam off but the bedroom stays on all the time due to it being in a multi plug with an alarm clock.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
By powering off, do you mean unplugging? You definitely should not be doing that. Sonos speakers are meant to be on all the time. It could definitely be a problem as each time you plug the speaker back in (a reboot), your router needs to assign an IP addresses. Many routers have a problem with assigned addresses it already handed out to other devices in the home.

I would unplug the router and your sonos speakers. Plug the router in, and then plug in the Sonos speakers....to get IP addresses reassigned. Don't unplug the speakers unless you're moving them elsewhere or something of that nature.
Noted!! I bet this is the problem...

Thanks for the advice

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings