Question

5ghz Wifi interference from Sonos surround sound setup

• 7 December 2016
  • 7 replies

I have 8 sonos speakers in various rooms, with a boost attached to my router. I added the playbar, sub, and two play 1s to my downstairs tv last week in a surround sound set up. Sound works great, but I am getting huge interference in my 5g wifi channels now down there. I normally get 80+ MBs download speeds, but with the new surround sound setup, it intermittently slows to 1 - 10 MB. Love the sound and set up, but can't use internet (including Apple TV) when speed slows down that much. Anyone experience similar issues and have a solution? I've tried changing channels in Sonos app, but that only changes 2.4ghz channels, not those on the 5ghz. I have a Directv genie mini receiver connected via wifi down there also, but I don't believe that's causing the issue as I've never had problems with it slowing wifi down before.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

First thought is that this may be unrelated to the Sonos, as coincidence doesn't mean cause and effect. If you can do without the surround sound setup for a short experiment, power down the sub and surrounds and see if the issue stops or continues.
Why not change the 5GHz channel on your Wi-Fi?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Can you try an Ethernet cable from router into the playbar?
Can you try an Ethernet cable from router into the playbar?I can't immediately see how this would help? Router to Playbar is over 2.4GHz. The 5GHz bit is between the Sonos home theatre components.
In Europe, only 5GHz channels 36, 40, 44 and 48 are freely available. (Higher channels have DFS and power control stipulations which make them a bit hit-and-miss.) In that 80MHz chunk of spectrum I run two AC/80MHz services and the PLAYBAR's 5GHz 20MHz channel without incident.

My AC primary channels are fixed at 36 and 48. Their aggregate throughput is over 120Mbps (the limit of my testing ability). PLAYBAR's channel selection is dynamic and mine usually ends up on 40 or 44.

A strength of AC is that it employs per-frame channel bandwidth sharing. A modern router should therefore co-exist happily with Sonos. Inappropriate choice of channels and/or bandwidth for 5GHz N could however potentially cause issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Can you try an Ethernet cable from router into the playbar?I can't immediately see how this would help? Router to Playbar is over 2.4GHz. The 5GHz bit is between the Sonos home theatre components.
It will remove any interference before wifi reaches playbar. Always better to hardwire if you can.
Will it enable sonosnet?, not sure with 5ghz
It will remove any interference before wifi reaches playbar. Always better to hardwire if you can.
Indeed, but SonosNet from the BOOST is at 2.4GHz. Nowhere near 5GHz.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
ok ratty, thanks, was not sure about playbar & 5ghz stuff.