Answered

5G home broadband and Sonos connection issue

• 10 February 2021
  • 28 replies

Badge

hi all,

I have just switched home broadband to Three’s 5G service. In switching WiFi services to the new setup I have gone through the requested steps but when I plug one of the Sonos One’s into the router via ethernet cable, it simply doesn’t recognise it. I can see it’s connected when I jump into the router settings on my browser (though this happens sporadically).
I called support who said I should speak to Three about changing the router settings. This included splitting the channels into both 2.4 and 5Ghz with WPA2 security. I’ve done that now but still nothing.

FYI, I have a Playbase and two Ones set up in one room. I have since tried connecting the router to the Playbase as well without any luck.

I saw another post about changing the 2Ghz bandwith to 20Mhz and the Channel to 6 (see screenshot) but no dice.

Any help would be enormously appreciated!

icon

Best answer by leobarker 11 February 2021, 19:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Can I just check a couple of things?

1. You haven’t factory reset any speakers?  If you haven’t that’s good.  Please don’t reset anything
  2. You are using a mobile controller?  If so which device?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi,

are you needing to use Sonosnet for connectivity? Or can you connect all your Sonos speakers to the WiFi directly?

one reason may be interference as Sonosnet uses Channel 6, which would interfere with the above setting.

another thought, is there any mention of “Wireless client isolation” or something along those lines in the security section of the router?

Badge

Hi,

are you needing to use Sonosnet for connectivity? Or can you connect all your Sonos speakers to the WiFi directly?

one reason may be interference as Sonosnet uses Channel 6, which would interfere with the above setting.

another thought, is there any mention of “Wireless client isolation” or something along those lines in the security section of the router?

hi - I’m not sure I know anything about Sonosnet I’m afraid. Is there something else I could be trying?

re: ‘Wireless isolation’ - this was something Sonos support had mentioned, but I couldn’t find anything on my huawei router settings.

Hi,

Sonos uses 1, 6 or 11, set by user.

That is certainly worth checking. 

Also, if there is a Guest network can you temporarily disable it?

If you go to:

Advanced > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Security Settings > Options and check whether the AP isolation function has been enabled. If so, disable it.

Badge

If you go to:

Advanced > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi Security Settings > Options and check whether the AP isolation function has been enabled. If so, disable it.

There are no isolation options there (I don’t think). See screenshot…

What happens if you click ‘WiFi Advanced Settings’ on that screen?  Is that a clickable link?

Badge

What happens if you click ‘WiFi Advanced Settings’ on that screen?  Is that a clickable link?

You can see a screenshot of that in one of my previous posts.

Two sets of options for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz: 

•  2.4Ghz - Bandwith: Auto / 20Mhz; Channel: Auto / 5 - 13
  • 5Ghz - Bandwith: Auto / 20 / 40 / 80 / 160Mhz; Channel: Auto / 36 - 140

Which channel is your phone connected to?  (Although that should not really matter with a speaker wired to your router. )

Do you have any access points or extenders?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi,

hi - I’m not sure I know anything about Sonosnet I’m afraid. Is there something else I could be trying?

re: ‘Wireless isolation’ - this was something Sonos support had mentioned, but I couldn’t find anything on my huawei router settings.

Sonosnet is where one speaker (or bridge) needs to be connected to Ethernet, this device then sets up Sonosnet, which is a dedicated Sonos wireless network… and it defaults to Channel 6, IIRC.

This used to be the way you had to set up Sonos speakers, but the preferred method promoted by Sonos now, In most cases is, to just join the speakers to WiFi, which does not create a separate dedicated Sonos network.

There may be some scenarios where Sonosnet is a better option for some people, but Sonos seem to be suggesting WiFi as the first choice.

This article show how to change between a wired set up(Sonosnet) and a wireless setup (WiFi)

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3209?language=en_US

might be worth a go.

Badge

Thanks BMF - I took a look at the instructions, but it seems I would have the same problem. i.e. when the 5G router is connected to the Playbase it does not recognise the connection.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Very strange, has this only started since moving to the 5G Router?

Everything was ok and working before hand connected to your previous broadband setup?

Badge

To be honest, I had problems switching to my previous broadband too, but it just took a few goes. This one hasn’t shown any sign of progress at all. I’m going to call Sonos again later now I was able to make some of the recommended changes.

FWIW, this is what they suggested:

1) 2.4 Ghz enabled

2) Split 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (separate SSID for each band)
3) Make sure Mode is set to 802.11 BGN
4) Client isolation should be off to ensure wifi devices can communicate with each other
5) Select a manual wifi channel, do not set to auto
6) Security type should be WPA2 with AES Encryption
7) Enable UPNP

I was able to do steps 1, 2, 6 and 7. I think step 3 is automatic.

Any ideas?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Sorry, exhausted my suggestions. I don’t have that router to be able to test or reproduce.

Sonos support it probably your best bet as 5G broadband setup is pretty new

To be honest, I had problems switching to my previous broadband too, but it just took a few goes. This one hasn’t shown any sign of progress at all. I’m going to call Sonos again later now I was able to make some of the recommended changes.

1) 2.4 Ghz enabled

4) Client isolation should be off to ensure wifi devices can communicate with each other
7) Enable UPNP

Any ideas?

Most of this is irrelevant as an explanation while you have the speaker connected by Ethernet.  Even so, I ask again, which band is your phone connected to please?

Your phone isn’t connecting to a guest network?  You don’t have any access points or extenders?  Your phone is connected to the same subnet as the currently wired speaker?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Just had another idea, do you get different IP address ranges between the WiFi and the Ethernet?

where Wi-Fi may be 192.168.0.x and Ethernet may be 192.168.1.x

could be that the WiFi is assigning a different range than Ethernet 

Hence my question about different subnets. I'd be surprised if wired on a different subnet from wireless, but it would be silly to rule it out, or some other reason for the split.

@leobarker   I assume your previous router is completely out of the picture?

Another idea. Change the 2.4GHz SSID and password to those from your previous router.  Make sure your phone is connected to that SSID.

Another question so far unanswered.. what controller device are you running the app on?

Which version of OS is it running?

My thoughts are that the 5G device ethernet Port being used here ‘might’ be a WAN rather than a LAN Port - but that’s just a guess without seeing the device details/user-manual.

I went through exactly the same situation with three’s 5G service in London. We got it as it  our wired internet was so incredibly poor and I thought it would solve all our internet problems...

After a week of trying to solve the problem of why my Sonos wouldn’t connect (going through everything described in the posts above) I eventually spoke to someone at Sonos who explained that Sonos only properly works with a ‘wired’ internet connection… ie... it won’t work with wireless 5G internet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I eventually set up a secondary wired internet connection specifically for my Sonos... which was expensive and annoying, using the 5G exclusively for video... and then... finally... moved house! 

Hopefully a solution has been developed since I went through this last summer. Fingers crossed they have as it’s so frustrating... I’m annoyed for you!!

Badge

1) 2.4 Ghz enabled

7) Enable UPNP

Any ideas?

Most of this is irrelevant as an explanation while you have the speaker connected by Ethernet.  Even so, I ask again, which band is your phone connected to please?

Your phone isn’t connecting to a guest network?  You don’t have any access points or extenders?  Your phone is connected to the same subnet as the currently wired speaker?

Phone is connected to the 2.4Ghz band. I have split them both out by different SSID.

I did have an extender that Sonos support suggested I unplug (now done).

Re: subnet, I’m not sure what this is.

Badge

Another question so far unanswered.. what controller device are you running the app on?

Which version of OS is it running?

iPhone 12 + iOS 14.4

Badge

I went through exactly the same situation with three’s 5G service in London. We got it as it  our wired internet was so incredibly poor and I thought it would solve all our internet problems...

After a week of trying to solve the problem of why my Sonos wouldn’t connect (going through everything described in the posts above) I eventually spoke to someone at Sonos who explained that Sonos only properly works with a ‘wired’ internet connection… ie... it won’t work with wireless 5G internet.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I eventually set up a secondary wired internet connection specifically for my Sonos... which was expensive and annoying, using the 5G exclusively for video... and then... finally... moved house! 

Hopefully a solution has been developed since I went through this last summer. Fingers crossed they have as it’s so frustrating... I’m annoyed for you!!

Ahhhhh, this is what I am fearful of. My only hope was that Sonos would recognise that this is a problem they need to get ahold of fast as I can see a lot of people with 5G home broadband soon.

I can see why too - my ‘200Gb’ cable with Virgin gave me on average around 100Gb most days. My Three 5G home broadband is somewhere around 250Gb easily.

Badge

Another idea. Change the 2.4GHz SSID and password to those from your previous router.  Make sure your phone is connected to that SSID.

Thanks John, I’m going to give this a go if it doesn’t work after I’ve spoken to support this afternoon. Will keep you posted. :thumbsup: