Answered

5.1 System (Sub, PlayBar, Sonos 1 x 2) + AMP + turntable...troubles

I had a 5.1 system set up in a room labeled TV Room. (Playbase, Sub, x2 Sonos 1 Gen 2).

I added an Amp today and connected my turntable to it. The set-up was quite confusing and a new room was created (TV Room 2) in the process.

The turntable only works if the TV is on.

Desired End Goal:
One room called TV Room. All Speakers and Amp paired and Line In to Amp does not require TV to be on.

icon

Best answer by Sjoop1985 5 April 2019, 23:57

Yes, if you were to add passive speakers to the amp, you could group the two rooms together to play in conjunction, or play the turntable separately - I would advise changing the "autoplay room" back to "Amp" in that case.

The Amp also has the possibility to use passive speakers as surrounds together with the Playbase. The Amp will then become bonded to your playbase in the 5.1 setup and you would be able to re-purpose your Sonos One surrounds in 1 or 2 other rooms.

As you can see, Sonos offers many possibilities and configurations, but unfortunately sales reps are often not very well versed in what it can and cannot do and are just looking to sell. You are not the first person to start a topic on this community, having been sold or told things that are not possible, or in your case, having been sold a very expensive sledgehammer to crack a very simple nut.
View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
There are limitations as to what constitutes a "room" within the Sonos system.
A room can contain a single player, a stereo pair, or a 5.1 setup, but once a 5.1 setup is "full", you cannot add another player to that room.
The philosophy of Sonos is to have different units in different "rooms" that can be freely grouped and ungrouped. Within a room, only single players or semi-permanently bonded constructs (such as stereo pairs or 5.1 setups) can be present.

In your case, you might want to rename "TV room 2" to something like "Amp" for clarity.

In the room settings menu of "TV room 2", under "Advanced audio" and then "Line-In", you can select the "autoplay room". If you set this to "TV Room 2", which is the Amp, music should play through the Amp, assuming you have connected passive speakers to it.

That said, theoretically, unless you physically turn off the Playbase by disconnecting power together with turning off the TV, the music from the turntable should be transferred to the Playbase even if the TV is off.
Interesting. Not exactly what sales agent told me here when I asked about having a turntable in my
TV room asked what to buy.

TV Room has a 5.1 system in it. So per your helpful response that room is full.

I changed TV Room 2 to Amp.

There are no other speakers in the room or passive speakers attached to the Amp. So I am left with the issue of not being able to play the turntable unless I also have the TV on. That is where I lost you. Image attached of Amp room TV & Remote settings.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

If you have no passive speakers the Amp was the wrong product to buy. You have been very badly advised.
You don't have to have the TV on. The Autoplay Room for the Amp line in needs to be TV Room'. The Playbase can play music without the TV being on.
The cheapest way to incorporate your turntable is to buy an ADC and an optical switch. Cost less than £/$50. Get your money back on the Amp.
Yeah. That is true. Kind of a bummer. But here is how I got it to work just now.

Room settings > (Two rooms are available: Amp (which has only AMP device) and TV Room (which has 5.1 system) > Amp > Advanced Audio > Line-In > Autoplay Room (selected Amp) > Autoplay Volume set at X% (just not 0).
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
I'm sorry to say, but your sales rep has got the best of you by selling you an Amp when you never wanted to add passive speakers, since that is exactly what the Amp is for. A Connect, at a friendlier pricepoint, should have done the trick for adding a turntable, but Johns "non-Sonos" option of an ADC and an optical switch would have been even more cost-effective.

That said, we should be able to make this work. You've gone a step too far in the room settings, as you shouldn't be looking at the TV&remote settings. The room settings menu for the room that you've now called "Amp" is the menu that has "Room name" as the first item. From there, you go to "Advanced Audio" and then to "Line-In". You should see the option "Autoplay room", and you should change that to "TV-room". This will make sure that any input on the Amp from the turntable is automatically routed to the Playbase.
Yeah. That is true. Kind of a bummer. But here is how I got it to work just now.

Room settings > (Two rooms are available: Amp (which has only AMP device) and TV Room (which has 5.1 system) > Amp > Advanced Audio > Line-In > Autoplay Room (selected Amp) > Autoplay Volume set at X% (just not 0).
Yes it works but this is criminally expensive. Take it back. You could buy a Play:5 for less and get a great speaker.
Thanks everyone. I am a bit annoyed at being oversold since I specifically asked in detail about my set-up. I have it all working now and will assess what to do next. Thanks again for the replies.
By working: I can play both the turntable and other music sources over the 5.1 set-up with no TV required. I guess the only upside to the set-up would be if I wanted to add passive speakers to the room via AMP to add to the 5.1 set-up or use for turntable only.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yes, if you were to add passive speakers to the amp, you could group the two rooms together to play in conjunction, or play the turntable separately - I would advise changing the "autoplay room" back to "Amp" in that case.

The Amp also has the possibility to use passive speakers as surrounds together with the Playbase. The Amp will then become bonded to your playbase in the 5.1 setup and you would be able to re-purpose your Sonos One surrounds in 1 or 2 other rooms.

As you can see, Sonos offers many possibilities and configurations, but unfortunately sales reps are often not very well versed in what it can and cannot do and are just looking to sell. You are not the first person to start a topic on this community, having been sold or told things that are not possible, or in your case, having been sold a very expensive sledgehammer to crack a very simple nut.