Answered

5.1 Audio Drops and Problems

• 8 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Had my current setup, TV (UN60KS8000 SAMSUNG 60" SUHD HDR 240) with Playbar, 2 play 1s and sub for about 2.5 years. I’ve been frustrated with my sonos dropping sound for over a year but always thought it was just when using my Samsung TVs Internal Netflix app. Watching TV with cable box or Netflix through cable box sound never dropped. Just realized though that my cable box wasn’t set to Dolby Digital and instead only Stereo (must have reset at some point). As soon as I set my cable box to “Surround”, and then set my TV to Bitstream and Dolby Digital the sound drops, even more often than just when using my TVs built in Netflix app. Sound is dropping every 2-3 seconds. Tried reading various posts and couldn’t find any solution – tried playing around with settings on my TV, but I believe those settings are all as they need to be.

Playbar is connected to my network by Ethernet cable not wireless, and sound to TV via optical cable. I tried unplugging the optical cable and noticed that when I jiggle it (or even touch it) the sound starts crackling like crazy – this is ONLY when using 5.1, if I turn cable box and TV back to PCM/Stereo sound there are no drops, touching cable does not make any drops or crackling sounds. Later in the evening when everyone else was in bed I turned it back on and played a few channels for about 15 min and heard no drops. Even jiggled the optical cable and there was no crackling or any drops… a few hours earlier even touching the cable would make it crackle repeatedly. Any idea as to a solution? I really don’t want to have to settle with Stereo sound when I should be able to get 5.1 after spending over $6K on this system… Thanks!

Just turned it back on now and it's dropping like crazy - every second. Diagnostic confirmation #: 1062408020.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 19 April 2019, 22:07

Hi cszun, sorry for the delay. The errors showing up in the diagnostic translate to the Playbar not getting the audio fast enough to play it with the correct timing, and cutting out due to missed streams. Do you have a different optical cable you can test with? If wiggling the cables causes cutouts, it could just be a bad cable (or cable ends that are covered).

If it has the same issue on the new cable, see if you can wire the Playbar directly to the cable box, instead of through the TV. If it has trouble at that point, I'd suggest that you give us a call and work with a technician live.
View original

6 replies

Any suggestions from support staff? Still not able to get 5.1 on my very expensive Sonos system which is primarily why I made the purchase... Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
Hi cszun, sorry for the delay. The errors showing up in the diagnostic translate to the Playbar not getting the audio fast enough to play it with the correct timing, and cutting out due to missed streams. Do you have a different optical cable you can test with? If wiggling the cables causes cutouts, it could just be a bad cable (or cable ends that are covered).

If it has the same issue on the new cable, see if you can wire the Playbar directly to the cable box, instead of through the TV. If it has trouble at that point, I'd suggest that you give us a call and work with a technician live.
I recently purchased a Sonos Sound-bar at considerable expense. Two issues have arisen: when I change formats ( for example Netflix back to regular TV) the sound will go out and I have to reset. Secondly, I will occasionally get a crackle on soundbar . I never had these problems with my old LG soundbar. Why is Sonos not fixing these issues. I see it’s been ongoing for quite a while.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I recently purchased a Sonos Sound-bar at considerable expense. Two issues have arisen: when I change formats ( for example Netflix back to regular TV) the sound will go out and I have to reset. Secondly, I will occasionally get a crackle on soundbar . I never had these problems with my old LG soundbar. Why is Sonos not fixing these issues. I see it’s been ongoing for quite a while.

Did your LG soundbar also connect through the optical port? What do you mean by 'have to reset'?

Sonos can't fix the issue if the problem is with the cable, your TV or attached peripheral. Your best course of action is probably to submit a diagnostic and post the number here, or give them a call. If the issue is with the playbar, they'll address it, as well as give some suggestions if the issue is elsewhere in the setup.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/141?language=en_US
Thanks for the quick reply. The LG soundbar was connected thru the same optical cable as new Soundbar. By “reset”, I mean I have to go back into a Netflix and exit again to TV to get sound and vice versa. As you suggest, I’ll submit a diagnostic.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yea, reproduce the issue than submit the diagnostic. Sounds as though the TV isn't consistently sending audio to the playbar, but odd that the same issue doesn't exist with the LG.

With my TV setup and playbar, I do notice a delay in audio when switching sources, but it always comes on a second or so later.