2x Sonos Play:1s can't play over WiFi

I also have the problem with 2x Sonos PLay1 can't play together “both” over WiFi.

I have 1 connected over WiFi wireless & 1 directly connected wired and it works fine.

But both over wirless = WiFi doesn’t work!

I seen them both in the ISP modem and they getting both an IP address!

I have made some month ago a call to Sonos but still can’t fix the problem because it is a multicast problem. I don’t think that this will the issue.

I have plugged 2 Sonos Play1 directly connected wired to the ISP modem behind. But still no luck!

Submit support diagnostic: 279263876

It makes me mad that I still not can connect 1 Sonos Play1 together and I have spended many times  and effort to find a solution. I have checked the Internet as well, but no luck.

How to solve it? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

It sounds like you ‘may’ have setup two separate Sonos Households, one running on SonosNet (the wired device) and one running on your WiFi signal. Do you recall if you created a new Sonos system for the second device?

To resolve, you need to choose one as the primary Household (I recommend that you choose the wired device). Factory reset the other (non-wired device). Then open the Sonos App and first ensure you see the wired speaker in the App.

Next goto ‘Settings/System/Add Product’ and add the factory-reset speaker to that system and follow the onscreen instructions . All being well you should then see both speakers in the Sonos App for playback, grouping and/or pairing purposes.

Hi,

i have done many thing I also forgot to write Dow 

I have reset first the last new Sonos play1 after no success I have reset all.

I have paired them successfully but 1 is wireless and 1 is wired connected, but when I want to play music I need first to disconnect the wired one and wait than play first on the wireless Sonos play 1 and then returning the cable and wait until he also playing sound. It works but this is not the way of handle to do this every time!

Factory reset I have done for all devices many times!

I’m not quite following what you mean in your earlier post? - you maybe best to submit a system diagnostic report, post it’s reference back here and then contact Sonos Support to see your precise system configuration/settings.

One thing I will add, is if you have ‘Airtime Fairness’ or QOS on your router, to ensure those features are disabled, as that might (just might) be the cause of your issue.

Ensure both speakers are showing in the App "if possible" when submitting the diagnostic report and contact Support via this LINK

Airtime fairness and or QOS I don’t use.

Both are now connected and I’m playing music.

I have done a diagnostic 2146012975

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Klausn 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

How far apart are your speakers? With one wired to ethernet, the other is still connecting to WiFi which shouldn’t happen if they are within range of each other.

Currently, the wired speaker is transmitting on channel 11, but the other speaker is connected your WiFi on channel 6. This difference in channels may be part of the problem. Another possible issue is that your unwired speaker seems to be utilising a WiFi extender of some kind - these are unsupported. Please turn the extender off for a while to see if it improves things.

If you bring the unwired speaker into the same room as the wired speaker, do they both then work without issue?

Hi Corry,

My both Sonos Play1 are in the same room, just at this moment I’m testing around 2 meters from each other.

What I do now to play both Sonos Play1 together: 

1. I leave the Wireless unchanged!
  2. disconnect de wired Sonos. 
  3. I start the Sonos app and play music, when I hear the music 
  4. I connect the wired Sonos and wait.
  5. Successful

When I leaf all Sonos Player connected than I can’t use the app as well, restart is needed.

Then I get Play:1 is Not configured. hmmm diagnostic: 1678084156

This works for now, this my workaround temporarily but not what I want. It should work always with Wi-Fi. 

One my WiFi repeater I didn’t do any strange handling (Fritz!Repeater 2400)

PC-4C-6B-E8-DC-60-9B → he is Idle Connections

The picture above is when all are connected

I disconnect the wired Sonos Play:1 and I see both are wireless connected this below:

I have done a lot of things but never find the right solution and what I know the Sonos Play:1 speakers are working well. I have setup them in separate way and made Stereo Pair of them.

Disconnect the wired and start the music and wait until I heard it and reconnect the wired one.

I have changed many times the Network - Managed Network - add to my SSiD

Actually now I don't know anymore how to solve it?????????

The Netherlands Support I have spoken for many many hours and or some days and it’s never solved!

I got the feedback from Sonos that my ISP modem Zyxel VMG8825-T50 isn’t supported multicast, but I doubt about this! Because multicast is on. Both Sonos Player:1 I had connected directly to the ISP modem and setup wired and after finished I disconnected them. I restarted the Sonos app but no luck!

I bought later the Fritz!Repeater 2400 and switched of the Wi-Fi from the ISP.

Both setting up to Wireless on the same channel isn’t possible!

I hope you could help me further?

I have removed the wired one and Setup again.

Now I have both Sonos Play:1 in pair connected and I can listen to the music.

Turn off the music and switch off the app. Restarted the Sonos app and it works wired.

Wireless is a drama …………….!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Klausn 

Thanks for the details!

When one Sonos product is wired to the router via ethernet, it creates it’s own WiFi and all your other Sons products (circumstances permitting) will use that instead of your router’s WiFi, with each one retransmitting so the network is expanded for the next unit.

As this completely bypasses your router’s WiFi, and you get better results when doing this, I can only assume that the issue is either with the router’s WiFi settings or the extender - as mentioned, we don’t support extenders because they don’t work very well, as is evident.

Your WiFi needs to be configured thus:

• Wireless mode 802.11 b/g
  • 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz should have different network names (SSIDs), and Sonos should not know the details for 5GHz.
  • The 2.4 GHz channel width should be 20 MHz
  • The WiFi channel should be 1, 6 or 11 (ideally, though if a neighbour is on 4, 1 and 6 overlap with that so 11 is better but 9 or 10 would be OK) and not set to Auto.

In addition UPnP and Multicast should be enabled (these are not WiFi settings, but network settings).

As a last resort, you may need to purchase a Boost, which will provide SonosNet in a location where you don’t want a speaker. Buy direct from us and you’ll have a decent period (varies from region to region) in which you can test it and you can return it if it doesn’t help.

@Klausn, Fritzbox and FritzRepeaters have to run at least on FritzOS 7.21 for Sonos to work.

If you wire a stereo pair to the Fritzbox, wire the left one. Afterwards remove the WiFi details from the system (disconnect the FritzRepeaters temporarily beforehand):

On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove. Subsequently wait about 10 min, then go to 'Settings → System → About my Sonos System' and see if WM:0 is being displayed next to each unit. If yes, you are safe to plug the Repeaters back in).

Finally set SonosNet channel to 1 and the router’s WiFi to 6, and see how this works out. Sonos app → System → Network → SonosNet channel