Answered

2019 MacBook Pro 16" with Catalina: Airplay to ONE SL not working.

• 29 October 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

so I got myself a pair of ONE SLs and they are working just fine with a single exception.

What works:

• Control/playback from media library and radio services via my iPhone6s on iOS 13.7 from the Sonos app
  • Streaming audio directly from my iPhone via Airplay from the Sonos app as well as from Apple’s Music app, Youtube etc.
  • Same works just fine from my partner’s iPhone 7 with iOS 14.1
  • Same works just fine from my old 2013 MacBook Pro 15” running Catalina 10.15.7 and the Sonos app 12.1 (control playback as well as stream from Mac to Sonos directly)

So basically everything seems to be fine with the speakers and wifi network.

What does not work:

• On my new 2019 MacBook Pro 16” also running Catalina 10.15.7 the Sonos app 12.1 does not connect to the speakers
  • While I see the Airplay speakers (room name) in audio properties and and can switch to them via settings, menu bar and in the Music app (formerly iTunes), I do not get any sound. It feels as if the speakers were selected, connected but muted (which they are not, of course)

So where to start? What could I check and fix on the Mac?

Thanks,

Lothar

icon

Best answer by lhaeger 29 October 2020, 08:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

PS: some more details about the environment etc.

• Yes, all machines are on the same wifi network.
  • I’ve restarted the speakers as well as my Mac already.
  • Wifi runs 2.4 and 5 GHz in parallel with the same SSID. I’ve disabled 2.4 Ghz temporarily so all devices connected via 5 Ghz → same effect, both iPhones and the old Mac work, the new one not so.
  • Router is a FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable running FritzOS 7.13
  • I’ve deleted and reinstalled the Sonos app
  • I’ve disabled the macOS firewall completely (it’s running on the old Mac, so should not be a problem anway)

So while I was typing the above, it occured to me that I had to install Endpoint Security on the newer Mac last week in order to dial into a customer’s network. Even though I did only install the VPN and not  the firewall component (and VPN was not connected when playing with Sonos), I tried removing it together with the Sonos app once more, rebooted, reinstalled Sonos - et voilá: works!

Thanks for listening, sometimes all you need is talk about it…