Answered

2 of 3 Sonos Products Keep Disappearing from Controller App

• 25 March 2020
  • 6 replies

I did a little poking around and couldn’t find a similar issue, so thought I’d post a new thread.

I have a Sonos Move (5ghz), a Sonos One (2.4ghz), and Play 5g2 (2.4ghz). Within the last few days, the two 2.4ghz speakers continually disappear from the controller app. Interestingly, they both continue to work with voice commands (e.g., I can ask the Sonos One for the weather forecast with Google Assistant). And if I press Play / Pause, the last streaming service will pick up and play .. so they are still clearly on the network.

Additionally, if I login to the Sonos website and look at my products, they all show as online. However, they aren’t showing up in any of my controller apps (Mac desktop or iOS). All throughout, the Move has been unaffected by similar issues.

I’ve tried changing the router’s 2.4ghz radio channel, powering the Sonos speakers up / down, and so on. The only thing that temporarily works is a power cycle on the speakers .. but within ~60 minutes, they’ve disappeared again.

Anyone ever experience something similar and have thoughts on how to solve?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 26 March 2020, 21:53

dra2885,

What type of router are you using? Is it a centrally based router, or are you using a mesh-type system with hubs? Do you have any WiFi access points, repeaters. extenders or powerline adapters and finally, are you using any managed or unmanaged switches? 

My thoughts are that your devices are switching access points which may have the same SSID/credentials but possibly operating on a different WiFi channel.

You maybe able to solve this quickly by wiring just one Sonos device to the main router permenantly and then doing these two steps...

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the 2.4 ghz WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. You will however need to ensure the Sonos Move stays on, or is shifted over to, the 5ghz band, so ensure the 5ghz network settings remain in the slightly different area of "Settings/System/Network/Networks"
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

When they disappear from the controller can you open a web browser on the same device and see them at this address?  Replace my IP with one of your speaker’s IP.

http://172.16.1.111:1400/support/review

Can you submit a diagnostic when things go missing using the Move? Post the number here if you can and Staff will look at it. You could use the other direct contact options on the Contact page too.

I can’t reach either speaker at the IP / port you suggested once they’ve disappeared from the controller. However, when accessing the Move at the IP / port you suggested, I get the following diagnostic.

First Floor (RINCON_-------------------)

Zone Player Info 
Ethernet Ports 
/VERSION 
/proc/ath_rincon/status 
/sbin/ifconfig 
/usr/sbin/brctl showstp br0

Master Bedroom (RINCON_---------------)

Zone Player Info 
Ethernet Ports 
/VERSION 
/proc/ath_rincon/status 
/sbin/ifconfig 

Basement (RINCON_----------------)

Zone Player Info 
Ethernet Ports 
/VERSION 
/proc/ath_rincon/status 
/sbin/ifconfig 

Network Matrix

Strength to
---------
First Floor
Strength to
--------------
undefined
Strength to
------------
Master Bedroom
Strength to
----------------
undefined
Strength to
------------
Basement
--------------
First Floor

Noise Floor: -106, -107, -106
OFDM ANI level: 7
  Inbound: 44 
Outbound: 48 
STP state: undefined

----------------
Master Bedroom

Noise Floor: -108, -106, -105
OFDM ANI level: 6
      Inbound: 48 
Outbound: 44 

--------------------
Basement

Noise Floor: 0, 0, 0, 0
undefined

Inbound: 00 
Outbound: 00 
  Inbound: 00 
Outbound: 00 

Moderator Note: Removed Serial Numbers for Privacy 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Sending in the diagnostic and posting the number might be worth your time.

If they aren’t responding to pings then it isn’t likely to be the controller at fault. it may be an IP issue that you can work around by setting static/reserved IP addresses for the Sonos devices in your router’s DHCP settings. Set the IPs, power down all Sonos, reboot router, power up your Sonos and see if the issue goes away.

dra2885,

What type of router are you using? Is it a centrally based router, or are you using a mesh-type system with hubs? Do you have any WiFi access points, repeaters. extenders or powerline adapters and finally, are you using any managed or unmanaged switches? 

My thoughts are that your devices are switching access points which may have the same SSID/credentials but possibly operating on a different WiFi channel.

You maybe able to solve this quickly by wiring just one Sonos device to the main router permenantly and then doing these two steps...

1. Set the SonosNet channel in “Settings/System/Network” of the Sonos App so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router 2.4ghz channel.
  2. Remove/reset the 2.4 ghz WiFi credentials in the Sonos App “Settings/System/Network/Wireless Setup”. These are not needed when running the devices on SonosNet. You will however need to ensure the Sonos Move stays on, or is shifted over to, the 5ghz band, so ensure the 5ghz network settings remain in the slightly different area of "Settings/System/Network/Networks"

I may be mistaken but the matrix is not showing any topology nodes, therefore the system is running over WiFi rather than SonosNet.

smilja,
Yes, that does appear to be the case and I think it is worth dra2885 perhaps switching to SonosNet, as suggested, it perhaps will resolve the issue, er... hopefully.🤔