2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz wifi and Sonos functionality confusion

• 19 March 2017
  • 3 replies

I was under the impression that my Sonos Controller (iPad) needed to be on a 2.4Ghz wifi (same as Sonos) to work appropriately. However, my iPad is on my 5Ghz connection and seems to be working fine. The reason that I am looking for confirmation is that today my 2.4Ghz wifi connection dropped to 5Mbps or less bandwidth and I couldn't play my Sonos system.

I called the cable company to confirm all was ok. Then I replaced my Netgear router with a TP-Link router. The 5Ghz connection is blazing fast but my 2.4 is inconsistent. I have a Boost setup with 2 Play1s, aSub, 2 Play5s, 2 Play3s and a Connect. Can someone comment on how this works? I'm concerned that if my 2.4Ghz wifi from the router continues on this path that I will have issues with Sonos. I listen to Sonos almost every waking minute when I'm home!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

With a Boost setup, Sonos isn't using your wireless, it is using Sonosnet. So both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi access it through the ethernet connection to the Boost. One tip, to assure Sonos and your 2.4 GHz WiFi do not overlap, change the Sonos channel to be different from the channel used by the router.
Great, thank you. I guess I got confused between Sonos on wifi directly vs having the boost setup. I have Sonos on channel 6 and my router on channel 11.
Also, any devices connected to your router through either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz should operate in basically the same way. The difference between those frequencies is that 2.4 GHz has a longer range and goes through walls and other obstacles better, while 5 GHz is faster when it has a good connection.