Answered

10.4 - Sonos Alarm failed to sound

• 20 September 2019
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Recently updated to the new 10.4 app under iOS. Alarm set for 05:50 this morning on a Play:1 failed to play anything. Not even the chime. Play:1 firmware is on latest.

Strangely, a notification had appeared on my iPad saying that an alarm had sounded at 06:00, but no alarm was set for that time, and an alarm didn't sound then either.

Thankfully an alarm set for 06:05 went off correctly.

I hsve checked under Settings and the system is set to the correct time zone/date and time.

Diagnostic submitted under 68734651.

I have been using Alarms for years and never had this happen before. Could this issue be linked to the Alarms functional redesign in the new app? I use the system as an alarm clock for work and this needs to be reliable to be trusted.

Many thanks.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 September 2019, 20:10

Hi Howard, I've been digging through that diagnostic and there doesn't look to be any failed attempt to play the alarm, it simply didn't initiate. The alarm seems to be enabled correctly and the system clock isn't having issues. I'll pass it over to the team to investigate, but for now I'd suggest disabling and re-enabling that alarm just to make sure there are no issues with it.

Alarms are saved in an XML file on each and every Sonos player in the household, and it's independent of the controller software running on your mobile devices. The moving of the feature in the Sonos app with 10.4 didn't change any functionality of the feature itself on the players, it was just a user interface change. The code remains the same on players, I don't think the Alarm feature has had any significant changes in years.

For now, keep an eye on things, and please let us know if you do happen to have this come up again, for this alarm or others. Sending the diagnostic right away was just the right thing to do, it helps us get any pertinent information for troubleshooting.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi Howard, I've been digging through that diagnostic and there doesn't look to be any failed attempt to play the alarm, it simply didn't initiate. The alarm seems to be enabled correctly and the system clock isn't having issues. I'll pass it over to the team to investigate, but for now I'd suggest disabling and re-enabling that alarm just to make sure there are no issues with it.

Alarms are saved in an XML file on each and every Sonos player in the household, and it's independent of the controller software running on your mobile devices. The moving of the feature in the Sonos app with 10.4 didn't change any functionality of the feature itself on the players, it was just a user interface change. The code remains the same on players, I don't think the Alarm feature has had any significant changes in years.

For now, keep an eye on things, and please let us know if you do happen to have this come up again, for this alarm or others. Sending the diagnostic right away was just the right thing to do, it helps us get any pertinent information for troubleshooting.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hi Ryan

Thank you so much for looking into this issue and for the very prompt and thorough reply and background explanation.

In my experience dealing with other large companies dealing with domestic products, it’s very ususual to receive such a timely and professional response, so top points to yourself/Sonos.

I’ll certainly try what you suggest and be back in touch should the issue occur again. Many thanks again.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hi Ryan

Just a follow-up query. Given that (if I’m understanding you correctly) the alarm schedule is stored in each player, if my internal WiFi network should fail, would you expect the players to still sound the fall-back chime at a previously set alarm time?  

This morning’s 05:50 alarm didn’t sound again but after my other half inadvertently switched off our router last night!!

Diagnostic 1166124115

Many thanks. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

For now, keep an eye on things, and please let us know if you do happen to have this come up again, for this alarm or others. Sending the diagnostic right away was just the right thing to do, it helps us get any pertinent information for troubleshooting

Hi Ryan

Depending on your answer to my previous question immediately above, this issue has either happened another once or twice for the same 5:50 alarm.

It failed to go off again this morning, with no internet radio and no chime. The router had been left switched on this time!

The only difference to the original instance is that I didn't get the iOS notification about my alarm playing since 6:00 (which is what I usually get for the 5:50 alarm as previously reported.) I didn't get any notification (this doesn't bother me - just thought I should mention).

Diagnostic 1658092038