Answered

Why Won't My Speakers Appear??

• 23 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi There,

I am getting a bit tired of the Sonos ecosystem. What used to work near flawlessly has become nothing but a nuisance since I added new speakers and was forced to use the S2 App. I have a Play: 1, SonosOne, Play:3, Play:5 (2nd gen), and a Move. The older speakers rarely show up in the app. Last night was a rare occasion where all speakers appeared. I played some music in 2 of the rooms (Play:5 and Move). Five minutes later I wanted to change songs and only the Move and SonosOne were in the app. If I check my wife’s phone, she will see something entirely different. If I use the app for my Windows Desktop, I will see different speakers than what my phone shows. But rarely, and I mean rarely, will all 5 speakers show up. 

I can still somewhat control them even though they won’t show up. For example, if I was previously playing music on that speaker, I can hit play on the speaker and it will play music. But I cannot change music because they don’t show up in the app. It is so frustrating. 

I shouldn’t have to reprogram or do any super tech stuff on my end. These are advertised as plug in and play. And they used to be. I keep hoping for some update that will fix this issue, but it seems to become only more frequent. I honestly cannot promote Sonos as the best any longer. What the hell do I need to do to get my speakers working properly? (Sorry. I am frustrated beyond...)

icon

Best answer by jgatie 23 November 2022, 23:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I should add that I have reset my speakers multiple times. This is an extremely long process as 5 times out of 6 the app says it cannot find the speaker. So I have to repeat the cycle over and over again. 

Stop resetting them.  It solves nothing a reboot won't do and it erases important diagnostic information.  

Your symptoms are classic indications of duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note you can prevent this from happening again by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos devices in your router setup.  See your router manual for instructions.

I should add that I have reset my speakers multiple times. This is an extremely long process as 5 times out of 6 the app says it cannot find the speaker. So I have to repeat the cycle over and over again.