Answered

Stereo PCM

• 28 December 2022
  • 47 replies

Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 14 replies

Losing the will to live here. I Have Sonos Beam Gen2 and I cannot have any sound other than stereo pcm. My tv is PHILIPS - 50PUS7855 50" 4K . I have a hdmi 4k cable. I am using both the standard TV, Netflix and 4k blu Ray player and they're all playing stereo pcm only. I have set the audio to multichannel (bypass). Why is this happening?

Any help greatly appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by t00t 28 December 2022, 22:38

View original

47 replies

@t00t,

Multichannel bypass is fine. Presumably you have enabled EasyLink (CEC) control too. Have you disabled the internal TV speakers and set the sound-out to Auto or Dolby Audio - Also (importantly), are you playing a Dolby audio source. Eg. A movie or show from Apps such as Netflix/Amazon Movies/Disney+ etc?

Badge

Hi, thanks for your reply. I can confirm yes to all of the above except tv speakers off. The options are hdmi sound system or TV speakers off, it only works if I have hdmi sound system selected. What else could it be?

Badge

I've attached a photo of all the hdmi connections, not sure if this helps in anyway. 

Badge

On further investigation 'personal mode settings' is completely greyed out and I'm unable to select 

Can you perhaps post an image of the TV sound-out settings. 

Also, can you just confirm that you are using the HDMI 1.4+ heac cable that came with your Sonos Beam as its connection to the TV’s HDMI-ARC/eARC port?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Pages 40/41 cover the TV audio settings, you need “Multichannel bypass”.

https://www.download.p4c.philips.com/files/5/50pus7855_12/50pus7855_12_dfu_eng.pdf

Badge

Sound out settings. Can confirm all above is correct also

Badge

Personal mode settings is greyed out, as you can see in this photo. When the sonos 

Badge

When the sonos was powered off and the sound was coming through the TV, the personal mode settings was not greyed out and I could access the options. Soon as I power sonos on, it is greyed out?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Is HDMI3 an output or an input channel? It looks to be a “source” rather than an audio output. 

Badge

Actually I'm not sure what this means. I'm not very technical! How can I check / should I plug into hmdi 2 instead? Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Yup, from the manual it looks to me that HDMI1 and HDMI2 are your ARC channels. Set the TV speakers Off, plug the Arc to HDMI 1 or 2 and see how that goes. 

Badge

I did try the optical cable also by the way, same issue

Badge

Badge

I have plugged into hdmi 2, same issue. Also it does say arc next to all hdmi slots. Whenever I select tv speakers off it turns all sound off including from the sonos 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Try using the Optical Out connection on the TV via the optical/HDMI that came with the Beam.  

Badge

I did already. It allows me to turn the TV speakers off but the same issue, only sound is stereo pcm

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Are you then sure the source you’re playing is more than a stereo signal? 

Badge

Tried on Netflix, sky, and 4k blu Ray player with dolby selected within the settings of the blu Ray player. All has the same result. When I initially setup a few weeks ago I did see dolby 5 in the sonos app but I can't for the life of me get it to return. I would be happy with that even if I can't get dolby atmos. I didn't pay this money to listen to stereo

@t00t 

It’s probably going to be easier to maybe speak with Philips Support Desk, as I’m sure this is a TV Settings issue, but …

• What are the choices available in ‘Digital Out Format’ (below ‘Audio Out’) in your earlier screenshot?
  • Also what options are shown in the ‘advanced sound’ settings?
Badge

On further investigation 'personal mode settings' is completely greyed out and I'm unable to select 

I have the same kind of phillips tv The sound personal modes are for the Tv speakers. When the TV speakers are off they will naturally be greyed out due to HDMI sound system being connected because now yr tv is outputting sound to an external audio system 

Badge

I did already. It allows me to turn the TV speakers off but the same issue, only sound is stereo pcm

multichannel option does is encode audio to common format like 5.1 or ac3.. watever yr soundbar understands
Multichannel ( bypass) does not re encode the source audio but sends out the bitstream to the soundbar or receiver. If u choose DD+ or atmos  and u choose bypass option but yr soundbar  do not have DD+ or atmos , u will have no sound because the Receiver in yr soundbar does not understand these formats when its sent the bitstream

the last option stereo uncompressed sends 2 channel PCM to the soundbar ( i am not sure if the tv somehow re encodes or downmixes dolby to stereo ect>)

Since HDMI ARC cant do 5.1 /7.1 uncompressed multichannel PCM ( LPCM) ony stereo uncompressed is possible

Badge

multichannel option does is encode audio to common format like 5.1 or ac3.. watever yr soundbar understands
Multichannel ( bypass) does not re encode the source audio but sends out the bitstream to the soundbar or receiver. If u choose DD+ or atmos  and u choose bypass option but yr soundbar  do not have DD+ or atmos , u will have no sound because the Receiver in yr soundbar does not understand these formats when its sent the bitstream

the last option stereo uncompressed sends 2 channel PCM to the soundbar ( i am not sure if the tv somehow re encodes or downmixes dolby to stereo ect>)

Since HDMI ARC cant do 5.1 /7.1 uncompressed multichannel PCM ( LPCM) ony stereo uncompressed is possible

Badge

Thanks for the info. How did you get around this? Do I need to buy a new TV or are there settings that work? I still haven't fixed