"Press and release buttons simultaneously..." AND THEN WHAT?

• 25 July 2022
  • 7 replies

Super duper frustrated with Sonos. 

Based on ads and some and reviews over many years it seemed like I was buying into a high-quality system “that just worked”.

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.

After trying for a couple hours to add a second Play 5 (gen 1) to my system (after a few months ago having lots of issues with that first Play 5), and getting it (mysteriously) to work (for about an hour), the Android app LOST ALL MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION.  My Youtube Music and Spotify disappeared, listen history disappeared. And the original Play 5 disappeared.  WTF?  And yes, I’m sure I am signed into my account.

Good grief.

So now I am trying to add back YouTube Music, Spotify, and the original Play 5 (gen 1), and I get to that page that says “press and release buttons simultaneously”...I do that, hear the chimes, and then NOTHING.

Sure would be nice if that page in the app told you what to expect next.  Another tone?  The light to flash a different way?  A subsequent page/instructions in the app will appear?  Something else?

Truly, this crap shouldn’t happen. People need to be fired.

I’m not really asking for help.  I’ve tried everything I can think of.

7 replies

The controller Apps don’t store anything important. Music service registrations are stored in the players. If you Factory Reset the players, music service registrations will be lost.

The Play:5 gen 1 was discontinued from sale 7 years ago so this is a somewhat unusual situation.  But as you say you are not looking for help I shall wish you well and move on.

Hi there

did you get any luck with this

I am facing the same problem with my ZP 100 amplifier. it was working fine until last year and after a break of few months when I tried to start it again it did not connect to my network. eventually I did a complete factory reset and was stuck at “pressing the two buttons simultaneously” for multiple times and eventually it worked

one month later when I switched it on one day, I could not find it in my network and had to reset again only to realise this time  that it always gets stuck at pressing the two buttons simultaneously and not going any further

I have tried at least 20 to 30 times still no success do you have any tips for me please.

can anyone in the forum help me please

At this age, we cannot rule out hardware fault. Are you attempting to connect wirelessly or wired?

I tried both.

last time around when it took several attempts I was able to connect it wirelessly.

NB: I have 14 various speakers so I know the usual stuff like stay near the router etc.

I am 100% sure that it’s not a hardware issue.

it has to be a s/w issue.

In the meantime I took out an older zp100 which was not updated since 3-4 years and was able to connect it in one go.

You obviously bought the Play:5 used.  As seen in the past, depending on how long it has been sitting, it's possible it has gone past the point where it can update even if connected via Ethernet.  You will need to call up Sonos support and have them manually push out an update. 

As to your dissatisfaction, we are talking about a unit that was designed a decade and a half ago, which hasn't been sold in almost 8 years, which you bought from a third party with no idea of the history.  Exactly what about that scenario falls on Sonos?  They have no control over a customer not keeping up with updates.  Or in the worst possible outcome, the unit was one of the few which got bricked for recycling and the seller screwed you on it.  Sonos certainly has no blame in that case, either.