How to use Sonos on a google Nest wifi?

• 17 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Hello !

I decided to improve the performance of my home wifi connection by using Google Nest Wifi.

As a result, I no longer connect to the wifi of my internet provider's router, but to the wifi network of the Google nest box.

Since I did this, the speed at home is much better, but I can't play music from the Sonos application.

If I reconnect to my original wifi (my provider's box) and reset the Sonos conf, it works.

If I reconnect to my Google wifi and I reset my Sonos system, it doesn't work anymore, on any Sonos service, I use Youtube Music, and it gives me an error 701.

Do you know what I can do?

I am using the default settings of Google Nest Wifi, I have not customized anything! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It’s good practice to not wire any Sonos devices to the Google WiFi ‘satellite’ hubs, as that will likely cause Sonos device discovery issues, or audio dropouts, so just wire the one Sonos device only to the primary Google Router/Hub and hopefully all will then work okay.🤞

Put the ISP provided router into ‘bridge’ mode, so it acts as a modem only. Switch off its WiFi at the very least and wire a single Sonos device (not a Sub, or HT surround) to the primary Google Hub. Then do these things…

1. Set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App to one that is not used by the Google Hubs.
  2. If you do not have any of the following Sonos products Move/Roam/Era-100/300, you could also choose to remove the local WiFi credentials from the Sonos App. See this link: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/remove-a-wifi-network-from-your-sonos-system

@Tsiegwald,

I would perhaps choose to run the Sonos system in ‘wired’ SonosNet mode alongside the Google WiFi by wiring one Sonos device only to the Google primary mesh Hub/Router.

See these two links for more helpful information:

There is no AP mode so wont Work. Google is not good with Sonos

Hello !

Thank you for your reply,

And no, my first wifi has a different SSID and password than my current wifi.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with a Sonos advisor and we did a lot of manipulations (reset, reconfigure, factory reset, etc.) But nothing to do :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

First off, my experience of using Google (Nest) Wi-Fi wasn’t great for products like Sonos!  The automatic channel switching and the inability to select a specific Wi-Fi channel were major factors.

A question first:  Have you changed your Wi-Fi SSID and Password for your Google Wi-Fi to match your old router setup?

Did you follow the steps in this article: Connect Sonos to a new router or Wi-Fi network | Sonos

I forgot to mention that I can see my devices in the application, I can manipulate them (split and group), but I can't play music on them