Answered

Cant connect Sonos one or Beam to Deco M5 mesh

Sonos system: Beam x1, One x1, Play 1x1. Previously working well on standard WiFi. Have ‘upgraded’ wifi with TP-link Deco M5 mesh system. This system is now running 2.4GHz only, in “Access Mode’ and security to WPA/WPA2. 

Have tried to link both Boom and One numerous times. Manage to get as far as linking to temporary Sonos Network then get a final message “Your mobile device couldn’t connect to your Beam (or Sonos One). Move closer and make sure its powered on.”

I’m right next to the speakers and (of course) it’s turned on.

Speakers connect fine when connected by ethernet.

Any help please?

icon

Best answer by sjm1953 18 March 2023, 09:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Mesh networks are a real pain for Sonos, I used to have Google Wi-fi and the Auto channel switching caused no end of problems.

The only way I could get mine to work with Google Wi-Fi was to connect one Sonos device to the base Wi-Fi unit, via an ethernet cable, and then remove my Wi-Fi credentials from the Sonos App.  This forced the units to use SonosNet.  This solution however, won’t work if you have a Roam or a Move as these devices can’t use SonosNet.

The simple way would be to change your new SSID and Password to match your old router, 

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the base wi-fi unit is one one floor and all the speakers on another. I’ve removed the wifi network from the App and  connected the Beam via ethernet to a satellite Mesh unit and the App is now showing SonosNet is present but the Sonos One will still not connect.

“The simple way would be to change your new SSID and Password to match your old router,”

I need to keep the old router operational since I have ethernet-wired systems linked to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the base wi-fi unit is one one floor and all the speakers on another. I’ve removed the wifi network from the App and  connected the Beam via ethernet to a satellite Mesh unit and the App is now showing SonosNet is present but the Sonos One will still not connect.

“The simple way would be to change your new SSID and Password to match your old router,”

I need to keep the old router operational since I have ethernet-wired systems linked to it.

Just to check, have you turned Wi-Fi off on your old Router?

Yes 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

If that’s the case then you can change the Wi-Fi SSID and Password to match your old router Wi-Fi details.

OK, so when I do that, and add the network (with the old SSID/Pwd) to the App, I can connect the Beam to the Sonos App via WiFi. However, when I try to add the Sonos One via Wi Fi it can’t connect. If I then connect the One via Ethernet to one of the Mesh units, the App connects to the speaker but cant connect it to my account so it appears on the App as ‘...not registered’. If I then disconnect the ethernet cable, the system loses any connection to the One

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I suggest that once the Beam is connected and available via the app, you factory reset the Sonos One and re-add the device: Reset your Sonos product | Sonos

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no joy. I have managed to work round the problem by (temporarily) moving my Beam up into the bedroom and connecting it to the base MESH unit by ethernet. The other speakers are now working OK on SonosNet.

It seems that MESH wifi systems are going to be more and more common and unless Sonos sort out this problem they are going to be left behind….

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try a Boost while they’re still available.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the suggestion, but still no joy. I have managed to work round the problem by (temporarily) moving my Beam up into the bedroom and connecting it to the base MESH unit by ethernet. The other speakers are now working OK on SonosNet.

It seems that MESH wifi systems are going to be more and more common and unless Sonos sort out this problem they are going to be left behind….

I got rid of my Mesh Wi-Fi because my Smart home devices encountered lots of problems...