Answered

Any more suggestions for connecting Play 5

• 27 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi there, 

I am kind of over Sonos at this point. We have had a Play 3 for about 10 years and my wife has been having connection issues forever basically. We decided to buy a 2nd hand Play 5 Gen 2 this week from CEX. Go to connect it and the Play 5 cannot be found

We….

• Factory reset → orange / white lights flashing Play 5 - nothing
  • Power on/off a billion times.
  • reset router - nothing
  • plugged Play 5 into network wired. 
  • turned off old Play 3 - keeping Play 5 wired. keeps trying to find Play 3, and indeed seems to find it despite being off. Maybe by MAC address without power?
  • wired Play 3 and Play 5 - nothing
  • ended up with Play 3 connected via wired and needed to faff about to get it back.

checked bluetooth, it’s on. Phone is right next to Play 5, it can’t find it.

I am just beyond understanding where to go next. Any ideas? At what point is the product just faulty and I’m no longer being an idiot.

Many thanks.

RobL

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 December 2022, 15:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

@braindeaf,

When you factory reset the Play:5 what did the status LED actually show - you mentioned it flashed orange/white but you don’t mention if the LED changed at all - if it doesn’t switch to flashing green for the setup, then it initially sounds to me like it maybe faulty - can you perhaps first just confirm you got the flashing green LED.

I eventually got the flashing green light after the orange / white. I’ve left it on and walked away and now it’s flashing red. long on / off red / white.

I eventually got the flashing green light after the orange / white. I’ve left it on and walked away and now it’s flashing red. long on / off red / white.

It sounds like you put it into diagnostic snapshot mode? However it still maybe the case that it’s faulty too - just reboot it and assuming you just factory reset it report back what you see… don’t try to set it up at this stage. Here is the factory reset process (just in case)…

1. From a fully powered-off state (wait 30 seconds) ..Now press and hold the rear Join (infinity) button while reconnecting the device to power. 
  2. Do not let go the button and continue holding until the light flashes amber and white, then let go the button.
  3. The light will continue to flash amber and will then switch to flash green when the reset process is complete 
  4. The product is then ready to be set up.

Once the status light is flashing green. You then need to check the mobile Sonos controller device meets the requirements shown in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Not sure the Play 5 uses bluetooth for set up….

Not sure the Play 5 uses bluetooth for set up….

I understand that the Sonos App requests Bluetooth (BLE) access for secure device setup purposes, during initial setup/launch, as it does not know what devices the user is planning to setup, so I’m guessing that is the reason BT was perhaps mentioned earlier. 

Hey, just to update. I needed time away from it because I spent 3 hours not getting anywhere. I did what you said in the end, the difference being I unplugged for 30 seconds (which I hadn’t previously done). So…

1. Unplugged for 30 seconds
  2. Held reset and plugged in
  3. White light while holding button until Orange / White flashing.
  4. Attempt to add product on my phone (yay, product appears Add Product)
  5. “create temporary network to connect”
  6. Cannot connect
  7. Use another phone (yay, product appears)
  8. “create temporary network to connect”
  9. Cannot connect
  10. Try Ethernet cable
  11. Tried. No change. Cannot connect “restart device” really???
  12. Restart process steps 1,2,3 with ethernet cable plugged in
  13. Cannot find any product at all.
  14. Tear out hair again. 

At what point do I hit this with a baseball bat?

Many thanks for this.

RobL