Answered

When will roam battery replacement be offered?

• 22 April 2023
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 3

I have about 20 Sonos speakers in my house, so I’m very into the ecosystem… the roam makes me want to never buy another Sonos product. 

My roam lasted about a year… just out of warranty… when the battery died. It’s now a paper weight. I refuse to drop another $180 for a product that will last about a year and then it goes in the trash. 

This is a widespread, well known issue. It’s unfathomable that Sonos doesn’t offer either a battery replacement service or a discontinued whole unit replacement. 

Either offer the service or ripping everyone off by selling the roam. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 22 April 2023, 20:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

Userlevel 3

Fair. Glad your roam has worked well for you. Nevertheless, many of us have roams that died early. 

I experienced the same problem with 2 Roam speakers.   After exhausting all troubleshooting procedures, I decided to take it apart and replaced the battery myself. I found new nickel cadmium battery replacements on Amazon and now both speakers work perfectly.   

This is a hospital. Here “everyone” is sick.

Userlevel 3

It’s been on its charger for the last 6 months. 

It was only off its charger for 2 trips. About 10 cycles total. 

I did every reset procedure known to man. 

I have multiple ultimate ears booms that are 3-5 years old and they all still work. My Sonos move is the same age and it’s fine too. 

Sonos needs better support for a product with a 1 year warranty that dies frequently right after the 1 year mark. Even Apple offers battery replacement on watches and AirPods and everything else. 

Userlevel 3

Search up roam battery and look at all the complaints 

My Roam failed 16 months after purchase.  I went through the same experience as others - non-responsive Roam which would get an orange light while on the charger.  Called support, spent more than an hour (and multiple calls) to go through their very specific instructions (5w charger, press and hold buttons to reset/restart the device), all to no avail.  Ultimately I found a tear-down video on youtube and just ordered a new battery on Amazon.  I’m thinking it’s worth risking $30 for a battery, than to throw away a device that (aside from the bad battery) should still work.  

My cheap non-name bluetooth speaker that I got on amazon for $35 years ago still works fine; the Roam is a $190 disappointment. 

I experienced the same problem with 2 Roam speakers.   After exhausting all troubleshooting procedures, I decided to take it apart and replaced the battery myself. I found new nickel cadmium battery replacements on Amazon and now both speakers work perfectly.   

This is phenomenal! My two sonos roams bricked after 18 months. They offered 30 percent discount. I am wondering if it is worth spending another $250 vs.70 for battery.

The industry norm for batteries is approximately 800-1000 full discharge-charge cycles. Has your use been in that range? What are your symptoms of battery failure?

Sometimes the ROAM charging circuit gets its knickers in a knot. You can reset this by keeping ROAM on its charger for an hour or so, even if it does not indicate that it is charging. Then remove ROAM from the charger then hold the power button for 15 seconds. If your finger slips off the button, restart the 15 second interval. Roam will probably acknowledge the reset. Place ROAM back on the charger and fully charge. 

Refrain from Factory reset without further consult.

Make sure that the charger is functional and meets the requirements.

Just got off the phone with Sonos…it was we over an hour conversation, but I have a new roam coming. Purchased 4/21 and the battery must have just pooped out. They are asking me to return the old roam on their dime and will send me a new one. I’ll check back in a week or two to see if I got the new roam!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Good to know, but l’d advise to call Sonos first!

Have you contacted SONOS support?

Have you tried the reset procedure that I described above?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you contacted SONOS support?

This is important advice.

I GOT AN “EXCEPTION” REPLACEMENT FOR AN OUT OF WARRANTY ROAM

I have a Roam purchased 8/21 where the battery has died 19 months later.  Also have an Arc, 1SL, and a sub, so sort of married to Sonos.  Knowing the warranty ended 8/22, I was pursuing reimbursement from the credit card used to purchase, which offers an extended warranty of one year (not a separate purchased warranty).  Credit card company wants a document stating the Roam can’t be repaired.  Called Sonos and told that story.  Went through their diagnostics, and nothing worked.  Rather than sending me a document the Roam had failed, they agreed to send me a free replacement, despite being out of warranty.  And the replacement does have another year of warranty.  Have to return the failed Roam, at their expense, which is fine.

Not sure why they made this “exception,” but guessing they didn’t want to go on record in writing about the Roam having failed.  Regardless, given I’m happily married to Sonos with the other gear, I was pleased with their solution.  Simpler and faster than the hoops to jump through with the credit card.

Might try this approach if your situation allows?

PS I see they now have a battery replacement for the Move.  Hoping they come up with one for the Roam.

Badge

Same issue here. Doesn't respond, doesn't charge on it's base, battery light WILL light up when on USB-C charge but still on when left overnight and not responding. Is there any option of contacting Sonos support via email? I can't afford to spend an hour on a call to them!

Userlevel 7

This issue is widespread and well-known? I’ve been using my Roam for about two years. My wife uses it almost every day and it still works great. Am I the exception?

Userlevel 2

You're not alone, when I first got the speaker, I was able to get about 5 hours total in playtime.  However I think my problem was leaving it on a Qi charger.  The battery isn't good to begin with and now mine can't even turn on.  I'll be buying a battery and attempting to replace as opposed to buying a new Roam.  Batterys are junk in the roam by the sounds of things.