Answered

Trouble adding wired system to existing wireless system

• 29 December 2022
  • 13 replies

In our living room we have a Beam (Hard wired) and 2 Play:1’s (wireless) as a stereo pair.

Kitchen: 2x One’s (wireless) as a stereo pair.

Dining Room: 2x One’s (wireless) as a stereo pair.

Downstairs Bathroom: 2x Roams.

This has all worked perfectly for over a year. All 3 zones have perfect WiFi coverage.

Today I tried to add 2x One SL’s, 2x Sub Gen 3’s and an Arc to our media room (converted garage)

Our WiFi coverage works literally half way into this room, the rear ones were picked straight away as they are closer to the router but adding the arc and subs took forever of hitting retry, and rebooting I eventually realised it was because of the WiFi, I added a hardwired WiFi access point with a different SSID and tried to add the new stuff to the new network, after over an hour failing I disconnected the access point and hardwired all the new stuff, rebooted it and one by one (totally stupid) disabled WiFi and now everything but 1 sub works.

I can factory reset it and it shows up for a few mins and disappears again.

To make matters worse now one of the kitchen One’s won’t work and just shows a question mark, rebooting it does nothing.

In about my system is says that EVERYTHING is WM:0, does this mean everything is trying to connect through one of the wired devices?

I’ve spent so many hours pi$$ing into the wind I could cry.

icon

Best answer by John B 29 December 2022, 11:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When one of the speakers is wired, all speakers revert to a dedicated Sonos network (“Sonosnet”).; WM:O in the app. By using the wired connection on your Beam you’ve set up your system to use Sonosnet. Mixing Sonosnet and wifi (with different SSID’s to boot) will create problems.

Furthermore: if you are really trying to add the Arc to the surrounds, you are going about it the wrong way. In a surround set up you start with setting up the soundbar and than add the surrounds and/or Sub.

When one of the speakers is wired, all speakers revert to a dedicated Sonos network (“Sonosnet”).; WM:O in the app. By using the wired connection on your Beam you’ve set up your system to use Sonosnet. Mixing Sonosnet and wifi (with different SSID’s to boot) will create problems.

Furthermore: if you are really trying to add the Arc to the surrounds, you are going about it the wrong way. In a surround set up you start with setting up the soundbar and than add the surrounds and/or Sub.

No definitely not trying to add the Arc to the surrounds, I understand that the surrounds and subs have to be added TO the Arc.

The issue is one sub keeps disappearing and one of my kitchen speakers is seemingly gone for good.

I gave up trying to use multiple SSID’s and now all I want is for the Media room to be totally wired.

I agree entirely with @106rallye .

The first thing you should do is re-enable wifi on ALL your Sonos devices, whether wired or wireless. "Disabling WiFi" was a mistake. 

Leave the Beam and Arc wired. Leave everything else wireless. Get the Arc working then add the Subs and surrounds.

In Settings, System, Network, Manage Networks, remove all details of your SSIDs and passwords.

You may need to reboot the router and Sonos devices to help it to reconfigure.

The first thing you should do is re-enable wifi on ALL your Sonos devices, whether wired or wireless. "Disabling WiFi" was a mistake. 

Leave the Beam and Arc wired. Leave everything else wireless. Get the Arc working then add the Subs and surrounds.

So by having the Arc and Beam wireless that causes them to broadcast their own WiFi networks that everything else will join?

Any idea why one of my kitchen speakers that’s worked perfectly until now is MIA?

Do NOT wire the Subs and surrounds in the Media Room. Do NOT "disable wifi" on any device. You are preventing the HT from working as designed. 

So by having the Arc and Beam wireless that causes them to broadcast their own WiFi networks that everything else will join?

Any idea why one of my kitchen speakers that’s worked perfectly until now is MIA?

No you should leave the Beam and the Arc wired. But do not "disable WiFi". That actually disables the wireless radio on the device and prevents the direct communication between soundbar and surrounds / Subs

Regarding the kitchen speaker being MIA, I think we get your system back onto a sound footing and then see if it is still MIA.

Regarding the kitchen speaker being MIA, I think we get your system back onto a sound footing and then see if it is still MIA.

Thanks for the help John, re-enabled WiFi on all devices and left the Beam and ARC wired, had to reset one of the Kitchen speakers by pressing and holding the link button till it flashed orange which fixed that one.

Everything works perfectly now 🙂

Excellent. Thanks for posting back.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

One more topic that probably would have never been needed if Sonos would just change that “Disable WiFi” to “Disable Radio” and not misdirect so many folks.

You have to wonder how much kit has been returned to Sonos in frustration over this simple thing.

One more topic that probably would have never been needed if Sonos would just change that “Disable WiFi” to “Disable Radio” and not misdirect so many folks.

You have to wonder how much kit has been returned to Sonos in frustration over this simple thing.

Surely it’s related to WiFi as it asks you what WiFi network to add it to and asks for the network key.

Or is that only if you don’t have the main HT device hard wired?

Surely it’s related to WiFi as it asks you what WiFi network to add it to and asks for the network key.

You are referring to two totally different settings. "Disable / Enable.WiFi" is a device-specific setting. As @Stanley_4 has said, this actually controls whether or not the wireless radio is active on that device. It has nothing to do with WiFi credentials. 

The WiFi credentials are a system level setting. 

You are correct in thinking that the wireless credentials aren't relevant once you have a device wired, as other devices connect via the wired device and SonosNet.

BIG CAVEAT.  As you have a couple of Moves, you should ignore my suggestion to remove your WiFi credentials, as the Move cannot connect to SonosNet. 

You are referring to two totally different settings. "Disable / Enable.WiFi" is a device-specific setting. As @Stanley_4 has said, this actually controls whether or not the wireless radio is active on that device. It has nothing to do with WiFi credentials. 

The WiFi credentials are a system level setting. 

You are correct in thinking that the wireless credentials aren't relevant once you have a device wired, as other devices connect via the wired device and SonosNet.

BIG CAVEAT.  As you have a couple of Moves, you should ignore my suggestion to remove your WiFi credentials, as the Move cannot connect to SonosNet. 

So do our 2 stereo pairs (Kitchen and Dining) connect to the WiFi or will they connect to the Living room SonosNet?

Thanks for all the help and advice 🙂