Sub with Play 3 or Play 5?

• 17 January 2013
  • 33 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks soundhd, but maybe you are not aware of the relatively new Sonos Sub?

At this point in time soundhd has never owned any Sonos devices.

Presented without further comment.
If money is really tight then I'd go for the Play:3 option with sub otherwise, for me, the Play:5s every time for flexibility and future proofing. My thinking is that your needs may change and you'd appreciate having the Play:5s better sound qualities over the 3s if you want to use them in other situations/move to other rooms.

However, if you only see yourself having a one room set-up (which would be a shame with Sonos), then have you thought about getting a Sonos Connect and pairing with a decent amp and speakers? For the same sort of money you're considering (those subs are pricey!) you could get a very decent sounding system with the best of both worlds - Sonos streaming and a quality "regular" audio set-up.

I have a mix of Play:5 and Connect. The Connect feeds my living room audio components and the Play:5 is in the kitchen but being portable can be moved as needed to other rooms or outside. I anticipate adding another Connect for my office and not another Play:5 as I prefer the choices that gives me.
Userlevel 2
Thanks soundhd, but maybe you are not aware of the relatively new Sonos Sub? Anyway, if anyone else has an opinion on this I would appreciate it. I will either get the Sub with the Play 5 or Play 3.
Userlevel 2
My opinion is....it really depends on how seriously you listen to your music. Are you a "audiophile"? Serious about stereo separation, depth of sound fields, etc...everything that goes with serious listening to stereo music or just a "casual" music listener.
If serious maybe you can get a very nice component system or high end AVR system that you can use a sub woofer with and just use a SONOS connect. A pair of Play 5's are not cheap but are more "mobile" and easier to set up (wire speaker cables) but do not have a output for a sub woofer.
I would say (and just my opinion here) that one can get a very nice used high end audio system for around a $1000 if one is patient and look around on Craig's lists, check out the high end audio shops in your area, they usually sell used gear. Check them all out, give a listen then make an educated choice.

Good luck
Do we know this as fact? I'd be surprised if the crossover from the woofer to the mid-drivers in the Play:5 is anywhere near as low as a sub crossover point would be.
Good point.

I read this in a review, perhaps two, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is true.

Perhaps some here knows, I am sure Sonos will be silent on this.
...when the Sonos Sub is on, these subwoofers are taken out of the audio loop...

Do we know this as fact? I'd be surprised if the crossover from the woofer to the mid-drivers in the Play:5 is anywhere near as low as a sub crossover point would be.
I would say play 3, based on a review I have read, which said that the difference between a Sub with a play 3 pair and play 5 pair was too subtle to be easily noticed.

It makes sense that this would be so - the main difference between the 5 and the 3 is that the former has a subwoofer. And when the Sonos Sub is on, these subwoofers are taken out of the audio loop. So, in effect, you would be paying for subwoofers that would not be used.