Question

Sonos Play 1 WIFI extender

• 6 January 2017
  • 9 replies

I have a WiFi extender in a bedroom on the second floor. I have plugged the play 1 into it via Ethernet, will this give me a sonosnet that I hear people get when they plug a sonos product into their router

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Many thanx, John
Which confirms all are on SonosNet.
Thank you all for your interest and the sharing of your knowledge. To address the question of whether I see WM0 or WM1 on any or all of the speakers. I see WM0 for all Sonos speakers
Thanks @ratty. I wasn't totally sure. I can see now that there is still a bridge between the wifi and sonnosnet segments
Is the extender connected by ethernet to your router or does the extender connect wirelessly. If the latter then i dont think you would have SonosNet.
You would in fact, because the wired Sonos unit simply sees a wired connection and so invokes SonosNet mode. It hasn't a clue whether or not the extender is wirelessly bridged off the router.
Is the extender connected by ethernet to your router or does the extender connect wirelessly? If the latter then i dont think you would have SonosNet.

In the controller, in About My Sonos System do your speakers have WM:0 or WM:1 next to them?
Ah, lots more information. Yes, connecting any speaker to the ethernet should (after a bit of time, perhaps up to 4 or 5 minutes) put the whole system on SonosNet. But it sounds like you're well fitted with speakers,

The nice thing about SonosNet is that it's a mesh system, so each speaker can receive and send out the signal, so you're less dependent on a single point of broadcast (your router), and each speaker can propagate the signal to the next, thus increasing the range of your music signal, and looping in speakers that may have been too far from the router for a quality signal to reach. Like any system, it has limitations in range, but it really helps the long haul speakers get a better signal, as it gets passed from each speaker in between the ethernet connected speaker and it to get the signal. Plus, you get the added benefit of a reduction in traffic on your wifi, since it's created its own secondary system.

Hope that's not too much mumbo jumbo. Basically, you've done the right thing, and I'm happy everything is working well for you.
Thank you for your reply. I started with a playbar, i now have the sub, eight play 1'S and a pair of play 5's, all purchased, within a couple of months, when i put a pair of 1's in the master bedroom, i was getting a message, what it was verbatim, i don't recall, but something to the affect of difficulty connecting to the app or speakers. When I plugged the Play 1 via Ethernet into the WiFi extender, the problem went away. I'm not that technically savy, so thus my question.
Well, it depends. The short answer is yes, it will create a SonosNet if the speaker is connected via an ethernet connection, but the longer question is why? Do you have other speakers that need to connect? If you only have one speaker, then SonosNet isn't much use to you. Many people use a Boost connected to their router, which then creates the SonosNet that the speaker connects to. But a speaker itself also creates that network when it's connected via an ethernet cable, so that other speakers would be able to connect to, but your question implies you only have one speaker.

And then the other issue is unless you've set up your extender properly (and I'm not the one to help with that), you'd have potential problems controlling the Play:1 depending on where you are.