Answered

SONOS OUTDOOR SPEAKERS

• 30 April 2017
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 2
When will SONOS introduce outdoor speakers?
icon

Best answer by Peagle 5 February 2019, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 3
$799 for a pair of outdoor speakers and you have to buy a Sonos Amp too? Really? That's ridiculous.
$799 for an outdoor speaker? Really? That's ridiculous.

I can't disagree with that. I did a quick price comparison with other outdoor and in-ceiling speakers and this would be at the very top. So they have to be very, very good, or Sonos expected this to be for those who don't care about price at all.
My impression of Sonance is that all of their speakers are priced at a premium. They don’t appear to be a “bargain” brand, but do serve a certain market.
Thanks. Just saw the new product announcement but appears it is just for wired passive speakers. might just get a sonos one and carry it back and forth. my connect does have room for another pair of speakers to be wired but i really have no interest in drilling yet another hole in my 100+ year old bricks. i have no problem getting wifi signal on my porch. The "problem" i am having is really that i can't talk to a powered, outdoor speaker from my Sonos, except as you suggest through BT. Not sure if i can talk through BT from inside to outside. When i power my ueboom from my phone, it needs to be fairly close. Guess i'm w/ the guy above a few comments that had hoped for basically a toughened up version of the Sonos One that would be happy living outdoors. Thanks again.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
On the Sonance website the Mariner 86 speakers are priced at $799, the same as this Sonance speakers specially made with Sonos on the Sonos website.

Would it be fair to assume it is the Mariner 86 speakers then with the same specs like the 8" inch woofer and dimensions of 9.01" x 14.02 x 8.58" that Sonos will have on this website?

Would it be fair to assume it is the Mariner 86 speakers then with the same specs like the 8" inch woofer and dimensions of 9.01" x 14.02 x 8.58" that Sonos will have on this website?

I would not make that assumption personally. It's entirely possible, but if the dimensions are important to you, I'd hold off purchase till more information is available.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

I would not make that assumption personally. It's entirely possible, but if the dimensions are important to you, I'd hold off purchase till more information is available.

I would be more concerned if it was the smaller Sonance model like the mariner 64 or 66. I would be hoping Sonos do not rip us loyal customers off and it should be the same price as the Sonance website and it should be the mariner 86 model with the 8" woofer

I would be more concerned if it was the smaller Sonance model like the mariner 64 or 66. I would be hoping Sonos do not rip us loyal customers off and it should be the same price as the Sonance website and it should be the mariner 86 model with the 8" woofer

just read the announcement of the new sonos outdoor speaker... and I am just jus so disappointed. I have waited for this product for so long and to have to pulöl wires is just so against what the product stands for. I could accept if I wanted to use my own speakers,, But to have to pull wire for a sonos speaker I JUST DONT GET IT. Are they giving up on the product concept???

just read the announcement of the new sonos outdoor speaker... and I am just jus so disappointed. I have waited for this product for so long and to have to pulöl wires is just so against what the product stands for. I could accept if I wanted to use my own speakers,, But to have to pull wire for a sonos speaker I JUST DONT GET IT. Are they giving up on the product concept???

Sonos annouced the partnership to produce these passive speakers several months ago. I don't know why you would expect they'd be something other than passive speakers. It's not the product you wanted, but Sonos never said they were building that product. They said they were going to make this one and here it is.

No, they are not giving up on the concept, they're just capitalizing on their brand name, and realizing that many Sonos customers would prefer to wire passive speakers outdoors (or in ceilings) so there is no concerned about wiring for power or dealing with battery life.
Certified working component package for installers, what's not to love about it if you're in the business?
to have to pulöl wires is just so against what the product stands for. I could accept if I wanted to use my own speakers,, But to have to pull wire for a sonos speaker I JUST DONT GET IT. Are they giving up on the product concept???Er... Sonos' first ever product was the ZP100 .... a unit that was wireless from the router, and from which you ran wires to your own passive speakers. The latest incarnation of this concept is the Sonos Amp. Whether those passive speakers are indoors or outdoors, or endorsed by Sonos in some way or not, is irrelevant. As @melvimbe says, Sonos have never given the faintest hint that they were planning an active, wireless outdoor speaker, and have not built one. I think you may be waiting for that product for a long time yet.
Ok, so Sonos does not have an outdoor wireless speaker, are they working on one? Sonos Product Development, can you provide some insight here? Options to put Sonos outside appears to be 1) Carry a wireless one outside and power it up 2) use their wired speakers (whenever they start shipping), but you would need to pull speaker wire through walls and connect to the AMP (assuming this is an existing built house, that is alot of effort, alot!!). Did I miss any other options? Has anyone seen or created any other solutions to?
Ok, so Sonos does not have an outdoor wireless speaker, are they working on one? Sonos Product Development, can you provide some insight here?

Sonos hasn't made an official announcement to say that they are. Nothing has changed since last month. Well actually, I'd say it's even more unlikely to happen in the several months as Sonos is unlikely to hurt sales of the Sonos amp and Sonance speakers by providing a similar product.

Options to put Sonos outside appears to be 1) Carry a wireless one outside and power it up 2) use their wired speakers (whenever they start shipping), but you would need to pull speaker wire through walls and connect to the AMP (assuming this is an existing built house, that is alot of effort, alot!!). Did I miss any other options?

Yes, you can use any other outdoor speakers with the Sonos Amp (or Connect + 3rd party amp). You do have to wire in both cases though.

Has anyone seen or created any other solutions to?

Some folks have ignored warnings and put Sons wireless speakers outside anyway. If you live in a favorable climate, having them covered, and willing to take the risk, it's an option

I personally use an amp with passive outdoor speakers. If that wasn't an option for whatever reason, I would have gone with a bluetooth speaker or just moved sonos outside.