Sonos connect keeps cutting out

• 13 August 2014
  • 51 replies

My connect keeps cutting out/stuttering when playing music. It is currently plugged in via ethernet cable as it was also cutting out before when running on wireless. My internet speed is 100mbps so I know it's not an internet speed issue. My diagnostics number is 3944892

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We are experiencing the same issue.....very frustrating. Our ticket number is: 6200733

I would really like for some help in resolving this issue.

k

Hi Kbrunlees,

There's wireless interference showing up which is causing your Sonos units to be unable to stream constantly. Please try changing your home router to another channel and also make sure that your other wireless networks are on different channels. Generally it's best to have separate networks in the same location be on channels that are far apart. For example, you could have your main network on channel 6 and your other on 1 or 11.

Please let me know if this helps or not.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Here's my report confirmation number please help. 6339552

Hi ASuperman,

It looks like there is another wireless signal nearby that is on the same channel as your main network. This is probably the reason for the cutting out. Please change your router's wireless channel from 11 to 1 and see if that helps.
I did it didn't. I own an IT company this is silly to have such an expensive speaker and it can't handle other RF signals. You all do realize the times we live in.
I'm running Ubiquiti AC units and the speakers are less than 15 ft from the AP. The AMP is less than 10 ft away from the AP.
ASuperman,

Back off the Ubiquiti power output. "Automatic" power selection sometimes results in saturating the RF receiver in nearby units. Also, avoid using 40MHz channels. I don't know what sort of issue you are experiencing, but make sure that the Ubiquiti firmware is up to date -- and be on the lookout for a new Ubiquiti release soon.
i am having the same issue - diagnostics report number: 6460469 -- my sonos is currently not playing after having cut in and out for the last 30 mins...
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
i am having the same issue - diagnostics report number: 6460469 -- my sonos is currently not playing after having cut in and out for the last 30 mins...

Hi AK,

There are some formatting errors in your diagnostic report so it's a bit hard to read. It does look like there are some wireless communication errors which may well explain the cut outs. If your Sonos system has a unit wired into your network with an ethernet cable, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.

If your Sonos system is fully wireless you can try changing the wireless channel that your router is using.

If these steps don't help, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
it all started after i signed up for the beta plan... can you take me off, please...?

Hi AK,

There are some formatting errors in your diagnostic report so it's a bit hard to read. It does look like there are some wireless communication errors which may well explain the cut outs. If your Sonos system has a unit wired into your network with an ethernet cable, try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using.

If your Sonos system is fully wireless you can try changing the wireless channel that your router is using.

If these steps don't help, please send in a new diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
it all started after i signed up for the beta plan... can you take me off, please...?

Hi AK,

Please follow these steps to leave the beta program.
Hi guys,
Similar issues. I have a Sonos in each room in my house (7). For some reason only the Kitchen Amp randomly cuts in and out, and sometimes cannot be seen in the system at all. I have recently installed many z-waves devices (921.42MHz) in the house if that is relevant? All the other Sonos devices work fine. I have tried changing the channel from 1 to 6 to 11 with no improvement. My diagnostic number is 6884648.
Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi guys,
Similar issues. I have a Sonos in each room in my house (7). For some reason only the Kitchen Amp randomly cuts in and out, and sometimes cannot be seen in the system at all. I have recently installed many z-waves devices (921.42MHz) in the house if that is relevant? All the other Sonos devices work fine. I have tried changing the channel from 1 to 6 to 11 with no improvement. My diagnostic number is 6884648.
Thanks

Hi Hosko,

It looks like the CONNECT:AMP has lost its network address. This is probably because there is some wireless interference showing up. The CONNECT:AMP is connecting through the Dining Room's wireless. There's some communication loss between those units. You can try changing the Sonos system's wireless channel, here's how. You may need to reboot the CONNECT:AMP once you've changed the channel.

It may also help to look around and in between your Sonos units for third party wireless device which could be causing interference.
Hi Guys

I have a similar issue.

I have a sonos connect linked to my tv with an aux cable and linked to my router with an Ethernet cable.

I have two x sonos play 1s on one wireless channel (5g) and I use a second wireless channel (2g) for my iPhone laptop etc.

My sound keeps cutting out intermittently making it quite frustrating
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi Guys

I have a similar issue.

I have a sonos connect linked to my tv with an aux cable and linked to my router with an Ethernet cable.

I have two x sonos play 1s on one wireless channel (5g) and I use a second wireless channel (2g) for my iPhone laptop etc.

My sound keeps cutting out intermittently making it quite frustrating

Hi, I'd like a little more information about your Sonos. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number?
Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Hi max

Please see : 6970751
6971160 Again! Please let me know what you recommend. I have fixed the 2 wifi signals onto channel one and have the sonos on channel 6. Tx
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Graham. As you know, the CONNECT transfers information to the PLAY:1's wirelessly. This means that any interference on the CONNECT will impede its capability to communicate successfully. Overall, however, there look to have been improvements on the system overall. If you can further distance the CONNECT from anything else electronic or wireless enabled this should help, as there is still a low level of interference being registered. Of course, if it is now functioning fine, you need not bother.
Hi I have the same problem , I have 3 play 1's that work flawlessly and always have, but the connect amp that i have added constantly drops goes missing from my network stops playing, I have reserved and saved an ip for this player but has made no difference , i have changed the channel on the router and the player, rebooted my router etc etc....diagnostics 7482132.... this is verging on unusable ......
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi cooper1293, welcome to the community. Your diagnostic shows quite a lot of wireless problems. There's high interference on some zones and they are losing the connection to the router sometimes. Is it going to be at all possible for you to connect one of your Sonos players (doesn't matter which one) to your router with an Ethernet cable? This will change the whole system over into another connection mode we call SonosNet. The first wired device will produce a dedicated Sonos-only network for the other zones to join. Once they have joined they can then also act as access points for further Sonos units, so you get a strong mesh network. Once that's set up we can find the best channel for it to operate on to minimize interference.
My connect keeps cutting out/stuttering when playing music. It is currently plugged in via ethernet cable as it was also cutting out before when running on wireless. My internet speed is 100mbps so I know it's not an internet speed issue. My diagnostics number is 3944892
I have had a sonos 5 and a sonos 3 for 6 years thinking that I had the most up to date music system there was on the market. At my last residence I had a download speed of up to 14.9 mbts and upload of around 1. It would often drop out mid flow. When I moved I thought "Allelluhya" a download speed of 34mbts and upload of 3.5. now I will be able to use sonos to its full potential. Big mistake, still drops out and have to keep installing players and bridge as if it was a new system. I have friends around to parties and invite them to choose songs only for the system to crash, most embarrassing and not what I paid for!
I'm concerned that you're confusing network speeds. Sure, upload/download speed is good, but it's not what the issue is, I suspect, but instead an issue with the network speed from your router to your speakers. I think we all agree that it likely isn't your network speed to your service provider.

But I'm just guessing, if you're interested in getting help from Sonos, I'd urge you to submit a system diagnostic and post the number here. That would give the folks at Sonos an opportunity to look at the log files from your system, and perhaps see an issue that isn't self evident to you, especially if you were to submit within 10 minutes of experiencing the outage.

There's several possibilities, and all of them happen to be internal to your own wifi. Things like wifi interference or duplicate IP addresses could be the issue. There are many suggestions here on these boards on how to address those, but since we don't know anything more about your system than the fact that you're embarrassed, it's hard to feel comfortable in making an assessment and a subsequent suggestion on how you might clear it up.
Please assist one of ours keeps cutting in and out.
Diagnostic information : 8079152.
Hi,

I'm having similar troubles after adding a Play One, additional Play:1 and Playbar to my system a few days ago.

Thoughts?

My diagnostic confirmation number is: 8169261

Thank you!
I have recently starting having cut out problems, having had the set up the same for a few years. I have a Bridge a Play 5 and a soundbar Diagnostics number is 8373973. I have tried resetting and reconnecting it all but it has not helped
Hi, having real issues with our sonos set up, if it doesn't improve its all going on ebay!
Last couple of weeks (and periodically before now but especially bad recently) sonos has been cutting out mid track/radio, jumping tracks, stopping completely and randomly losing rooms. In the last hour we have probably lost music 20 times. And the kitchen has vanished.
Frankly not at all good enough and i am at my wits end. Bring back my music!!. We have high speed internet (virgin 50mbs) and the sonos is right near the router yet sometimes it says it doesnt have enough bandwidth??!
Especially bad with spotify but also afgecting radio. Help!