Answered

Roam and bluetooth turntable

• 4 March 2022
  • 5 replies

I did a video chat earlier with one of the Sonos support reps to ask about whether I could use a Roam to connect my bluetooth turntable to the Roam and then to the rest of my Sonos set-up.  She was adamant that this would not work.  However, I’ve read a number of articles about using the Roam and see a number of chats on here about it as well.  I’m assuming that the Roam will work with my bluetooth turntable but Sonos doesn’t want to sanction its use officially as they would prefer me to buy a more expensive solution?  Is that the case?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 4 March 2022, 11:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

A quick follow-up on this.  I ordered the Roam and after I figured out how to get it into Bluetooth pairing mode, I connected it quickly to my Sony turntable.  Tested it with a couple of albums and it works great including moving the Roam about 40 feet from the turntable out into the back garden of our house.  Was then able to connect the Roam to the rest of my Sonos speakers via the Sonos app and had the albums on the turntable playing across the Sonos system.  Pleased so far with how it is working.

I think it’s the case that different 3rd party products have different Bluetooth profiles and whilst a majority of those devices may work, some have a bespoke BT profile and so may not work.

However it appears from other posts in the community a number of different TT’s seemed to have worked okay over a BT connection.

Once you have the audio playing to the Roam, then you can ‘Group’ that (over the local WiFi connection) to other Sonos products and group-play to all.

I would perhaps try to keep the Roam within 3-feet (1 metre) of the TT and see how things go when grouped with your other Sonos Rooms.

Thanks for the info.  Appreciate it.

Hi there, i have a Sonos roam and BT audio technica turn table. I am trying to get them to pair but they will not. I know neither rod these products are defective because the Sonia plays from my phone just fine and the turntable pairs with my wonderboom. Anyone have any idea how to get the Sonos to pair with the turntable! 

Userlevel 7

Hi there, i have a Sonos roam and BT audio technica turn table. I am trying to get them to pair but they will not. I know neither rod these products are defective because the Sonia plays from my phone just fine and the turntable pairs with my wonderboom. Anyone have any idea how to get the Sonos to pair with the turntable! 

1. Move the Wonderboom away from the turntable.
  1. Press and hold the power button on the back of Roam for two seconds, then release. You will hear the pairing tone and the status LED on the front will start flashing blue.
  1. Place the Roam and the turntable within 1 meter of each other so that the connection can be made.
  1. Press and hold the Wireless Function Button on the turntable for about 4 seconds. During this time, you will see the Wireless Function Button change color. First, it will flash purple (indicating that the Bluetooth transmitter is powering on) and then, shortly after, it will flash purple again. After this second flash, release the button. The button will now begin flashing red and blue – this indicates that the turntable’s wireless transmitter is searching for another device with which to pair. The turntable’s pairing mode will stay active for 30 seconds. The Wireless Function Button will turn solid blue when it has successfully paired with the Roam.