"network connection speed insufficient to maintain playback buffer"

• 20 January 2014
  • 75 replies

I've been having the same problems with music playlists stop playing and "network connection speed insufficient" messages coming up shortly after every track it try's to play and skips to the next!!!! Really gets annoying when your trying to chill out!!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

75 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, any updates on my diagnostic?

Hi zoolander123,

If you're getting the error on your wired PLAY:5 please try a different ethernet cable. Also, please run a network speed test and ping test then reply with the results.

Tried, no difference. Apple Music is still breaking down intermittently. Apple Music is working fine on all my other devices, and everything in my home network is running smoothly, nothing has changed. Sonos was working fine for a few months and still is... except for Apple Music.

http://beta.speedtest.net/result/6120702508

At this point it would be best to troubleshoot this issue live. Please give us a call and reference case number: 170313-001366. You can find our phone number here.
Same issue here. Sonos says network speed not sufficient for buffering. Diagnostic# 7255895.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here. Sonos says network speed not sufficient for buffering. Diagnostic# 7255895.

Hi lagunaboy,

There's quite a bit of wireless interference showing up which is causing communication errors between your Sonos speakers. Please try changing the wireless channel on your Sonos system and see if that helps.
Badge
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting the same message. this thread is great as I've been able to do some troubleshooting already.
I've checked channels. My access point has been set to channel 1, and sonos has been set to channel 11. That hasn't changed anything.

Previously I was having a terrible time using Sonos at all. I had everything hard wired except for one player (2 Connects, 5 Play:1's). That worked for weeks and then suddenly stopped working - random units were dropping out and music was always stopping. Units would disappear from the room list, regrouping themselves sometimes and other times would be gone for days. I then tried turning off WiFi, which had everything working again, but only for two days. Then everything went back to this problem. Then I turned Wifi back on again and wired only one Play:1, but now I'm having the network speed not sufficient error, which I hadn't seen before. This is driving me crazy! 🙂

So now what's happening, no matter the source, is that some players will play and others will drop out, and then at other times the whole system will stop. It's 100% not bandwidth from the services.
It happens when playing Apple Music (streaming from Apple) and when using Tidal.

I've gone and played each player individually, and one, the one in the media room, is having difficultly and cuts out. It's not the one wired in.

Could you very kindly:
1) Check this diagnostic report and let me know what you see 7286666
2) Let me know if there is a way to have all devices (or ideally all but one) connected to ethernet, as I have ethernet ports at all but one location and would love for the system to be a stable as possible.

Thank you very much!!
Al
Hi, have similar problems, could you please check my diagnostics report 7706131? Thanks in advance cc
Badge
I had the greatest experience by talking to someone live. I can’t recommend this enough as he was able to tell me exactly what was going in for each unit and while we were on the phone I made changes live. Things have been working perfectly since!
I've been having the same problems with music playlists stop playing and "network connection speed insufficient" messages coming up shortly after every track it try's to play and skips to the next!!!! Really gets annoying when your trying to chill out!!!

Same problem (well the latest problem!) for me. For a few days now, every time I have attempted to connect to Sonos, I have had difficulty, and have had to restart a speaker, or router, or bridge (or today all three) to be able to get connected. Once connected things have been OK - there was a wee bit of drop out yesterday, but moving my bridge away from the router seemed to have solved that.

But today things have gone from bad to worse! I was trying to show a friend how good Sonos was, and could not get connected at all. Restarted everything, but no luck. I was at one point able to get connected, then couldn't play anything! Not Deezer, not Tunein, nor anything on my NAS - it would start a track (if I was lucky), then the error would appear..

I've taken the bridge out of the equation, and am now connecting over my standard wireless connection, and was able to get Tunein, then it stopped again. I'm not onto the line in, but am getting dropout from my other speaker. It does feel like a wifi problem, however nothing else on the network is having difficulty..

I've emailed my diagnostics number, but if there is anything else that anyone else can suggest (going cold turkey with music is not sitting well with me..) I would be eternally greatful...

Lauren
Badge
I have been using Sonos components for years with great success and few problems all of which I have been able to solve previously, but for the last couple of months I have tried everything I have read about or can think of to resolve the cut out and dropping of my music. I have restarted all of my components, updated all controllers and component software, changed network cables, reviewed the local version of the diagnostic by going to http://:1400/support/review, restarted my router, checked and reset channels, rebooted my music server (vortex box). I find that I can listen to streaming music across all devices from the Amazon and other streaming sources most of the time with no problem but not so with FLAC files from the vortex box player. (I have never had this problem before). The Vortex box player streams music well when only 4 devices are set to play but as I add other devices, in any order, it begins to falter, drop music and give me the infamous message "network connection speed insufficient". I have run out of ideas and would appreciate assistance. I submitted a diagnostic:
number 8147214.
Hi - I am having this same difficulty and it is becoming unbearable. I have switched channels, rebooted my router about four times, restarted every Sonos component and I am still having difficulties. My diagnostic is 8196664. Help!
I have the same issues. Rebooted my router. It works fine for a few days but then it starts having issues again. My diagnostic number is 8218058
Userlevel 1
I wish to add that I am experiencing these issues. This problem started immediately after the most recent updates to the Controller Apps and SONOS components. I have not had this issue previously. Until this update ALL related and connected components have operated properly.

I strictly play from my own music collection stored on my PC, no music renting services nor mobile devices for source.
I use the BRIDGE aka BOOST method and not WiFi.
Playback through: 2 CONNECT:PLAY, 1 CONNECT AMP in my small home.
I have an up to date 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac router that is not showing any other signs of poor performance.

Following suggestions I have changed the channels used by the BRIDGE and have attempted to use the WiFi configuration and am still experiencing this error on all 3 components.

Do note that I have had this system in the BOOST configuration over 5 years and have never experienced this issue before. But, with a previous update I had the issue where the controller app could not connect to my system - no matter what troubleshooting tips I tried. To fix this specific issue I had to delete all controller apps, reset all components then reinstall as new.

During this last update I experienced some noteworthy issues.
On my phone (Nexus6P) the app installed twice consecutively. Immediately upon loading into a "what's new" screen a "check for updates" engaged and forced another update.
On my PC (homebrew Win10 with overly sufficient specs) an initial update took place and 2 days later there was another update required. This 2nd update would not start and did not cite any error codes or specific issue. This is rather common and often I have to delete the controller app on my PC and install new. This is very tiresome.

As SONOS has shifted away from its foundation and has focused more on mobile devices, music rental services and other cloud based content more and more negative situations are happening. I am near the point where I am feeling I wasted far too much on these products that you are making problematic with your updates which are intended to improve the customer experience, not weaken it.
Hi I am having same problems as others with Network connection, never had a problem for 3 years now it’s terrible and have gone back to to playing iPod through a music speaker! Tried all router restarts and reconfigures and no better. Does anyone actually have a solution?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I am having same problems as others with Network connection, never had a problem for 3 years now it’s terrible and have gone back to to playing iPod through a music speaker! Tried all router restarts and reconfigures and no better. Does anyone actually have a solution?
Hi, PJJ. We can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause for you. Many thanks in advance.
Badge
Hi,
I to am now experiencing the same message. I have submitted a diagnostic 640118914. I am running a boost through a Netgear Orbi router RBK50. I have a play 5, a connect, two play 1s as a stereo pair, and a play 3. The Orbi router was new two weeks ago and no issues with wifi reception. I get 65Mbps download and 18 Mbps upload consistently so no issues with internet speed. I get the network connection speed error whether using my own music library (on NAS) or streaming from Deezer Premium hifi. This particular diagnostic was after numerous errors when streaming deezer through connect. Distance from connect to bridge is 35 ft through two rooms on same floor. Help please?
Badge
Not sure if this is the right place to get support...no response to my original post but the problem has got worse to the point my entire Sonos system is unusable. Another diagnostic sent...1239309134.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not sure if this is the right place to get support...no response to my original post but the problem has got worse to the point my entire Sonos system is unusable. Another diagnostic sent...1239309134.

At the bottom of a multipage topic under "Wireless Speakers" isn't the best spot to post a help request. I'd suggest starting your own topic under the Troubleshooting heading so your post and the responses to it don't get lost in the noise of other folks discussing other issues.

Make it easy for the Sonos staff to find your post and you'll get a faster response instead of a delayed "Sorry I missed your post" a week late.

The other option is a phone call to support which is often needed in any case so they can remote-access your system and poke around inside.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Ian,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. Due to the nature of your issue it would be best to troubleshoot this live. Please give us a call, you can find our contact information here.

i have been getting the above message recently and never used to get these messages before...my system is running through wifi connection on a mesh network. it happens when playing music through my pc and through online services.
Userlevel 7

i have been getting the above message recently and never used to get these messages before...my system is running through wifi connection on a mesh network. it happens when playing music through my pc and through online services.

Hi Nary8

You basically have five (5) options...🆒

Option 1
Submit a diagnostic via the Sonos App and post the reference ID in this forum and wait for a response

Option 2
Make sure that your Mesh is broadcasting 2.4 Ghz and that your Sonos is connecting to it

Option 3
A Mesh network can be tricky. First are you using a traditional Mesh such as Google WiFi, Netgear Orbi, Linksys Velop or Ero to name a few; or are you using an AiMesh such as one provided when using two Asus routers such as the RT-AC1900 in conjunction with an RT-AC1900 for example?

In either case I suggest you check to see if “Airtime Fairness” is enabled and disable it. Airtime Fairness can have a negative impact in certain environments where there is a mix of clients. You can read more about Airtime Fairness (positive and negative) at the link: https://routerguide.net/airtime-fairness-on-or-off/

Option 4
_Unplug your Sonos
_Unplug all clients
_Take down your Mesh and reconfigure it (make sure 2.4 Ghz is broadcasting)
_Setup your Sonos one-by-one
_Set up other clients one-by-one

Option 5
Setup Sonos in Boost mode. Click the Link: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235

Please post back with your results. Cheers!
Just as a note for others following this thread, in almost all cases, this message is not a reflection of the speed of your modem to the internet, but instead the speed between your local Wi-Fi router and the speakers themselves.
After many years of almost flawless performance using 3 ZP-90's as digital transports and a single Sonos-1 in the kitchen, the systems I have invested in and use daily are essentially worthless with the same complaints I have seen far too frequently above. I have tried all of the remedies suggested in these pages with no successful results instead costing many hours wasted I should have been enjoying music. I have always praised the reliability and simplicity of the Sonos system and have shown some audiophiles that it can be a bit perfect transport- not so much now...

I submitted diagnostic 1022246237.

I look forward to your kind reply.
Userlevel 2
I have experienced this problem for months and it's driving me nuts. Nothing helps, and believe me, I've tried everything. Spectrum verified a solid connection and speed, new cable modem, new Netgear Orbi Mesh network, tried every Sonos channel... I have addressed every possible point of failure and it persists. The only thing I can add is that this ONLY happens using Napster. All I use Sonos for is Napster, Pandora and Tunein. Thinking it might be a Napster issue. Before they took over Rhapsody things seemed to be fine. Anyone else experience this maddening frustration?