Answered

Long cable for Era 300

Hello,

I just pre-ordered a pair of Era 300’s, & would like to know if the “long cable” will be available soon. Or if any of the available long cables are compatible. Since my previous setup with the One’s required one long cable, thanks. 

icon

Best answer by ratty 6 September 2023, 09:10

View original

25 replies

Which “long cable” are you referring to? Do you have a link?

Sonos no longer has them on their site, but it was an 11.5’ angled or straight cable. But the question is still, will there be a long cable available for the Era 300? There will be placement issues & a longer cable will alleviate that for some people like myself. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Which “long cable” are you referring to? Do you have a link?

Sonos until recently sold long cables for most of their gear. I got one for my Beam a while ago. However the popup menu to choose lengths only offers Standard right now, unclear if that is a temporary situation or not.

Is this a power cable? If so, there’s lots of other companies that service that space. OK, maybe not lots, but some. I used to use Flexson, who made some nifty extensions for my power cords, but I’ve also created my own by splicing ends of cables to other cables. Most often, just shortening the desired length, mostly before shorter cables were “a thing”. 

Most speakers use standard cable connections, the exception being (I think...I’ve not looked recently) the Sonos One, where it actually sits on the cable connector. But all of my Arcs and Subs use a bog standard (I think) cable connection, so I could easily shop for longer as needed. 

Looking at the pictures on the Sonos site, it sure looks like a standard cable into the middle of the back of the device, so it should be relatively easy to get something longer, even if Sonos doesn’t offer it.  

Was looking for the same extended cable solution for my forthcoming Era 300’s.

Included in the box with the 300’s are 2m - 6 ft cables which have round ends and figure of eight pins plugging in sideways or west to east leading to a right angle cable feeding straight up or north to south, allowing it to be fed down the speaker stand poles. The existing extended right angle cable at present on the Sonos site is different. The figure of eight plug is north to south directing the cable feed west to east if plugged into the 300’s - not ideal for the new Sonos speaker stands. Hopefully an extended 3 metre plus power cabe will be available soon after the launch on the 28th March.

That figure 8 is a fairly standard cable termination. If Sonos doesn’t bring out something to your satisfaction, it should be fairly easy to find other options. 

Search Amazon for “C7 Power Cord”...if Sonos doesn’t have what you want/need. You’ll find all sorts of lengths, and 90 degree terminations, too. Pick what you want, or visit another electronics retailer of your own choice.

As I say, it’s a standard connection used in many, many places, not just on the Sonos Era 300 speakers. 

Search Amazon for “C7 Power Cord”...if Sonos doesn’t have what you want/need. You’ll find all sorts of lengths, and 90 degree terminations, too. Pick what you want, or visit another electronics retailer of your own choice.

As I say, it’s a standard connection used in many, many places, not just on the Sonos Era 300 speakers. 

Thank you 👍🏻

Userlevel 7

FYI… according to Sonos, using a third-party power cord will void your warranty.

FYI… according to Sonos, using a third-party power cord will void your warranty.

True, but if it was the only option due to placement issues how would they even know? Unless the cord itself caused some issues to the speaker & it was sent back for warranty of course. 

I am sure Sonos will address this issue and supply a 3.5 Metre length as they do for the original Cable 1, with a right angle configuration and horizontal figure of eight plug in pin, as is now on the Era 300’s. The original would not allow the cable to neatly travel down the Sonos speaker stand pole channels, without first looping and fitting snugly into the rear, as the figure of eight pins are configured vertically. All a little confusing, but clear if your look at the back of the Era 300’s

+1 here

Any updates on 3.5 metre power cables for the  new Sonos era 300   In the uk really need them when using them as rear speakers on stands again think they should have been around at launch

Quite agree. They should have been an option if you order the stands. They should be available soon.

As for me I’m looking for 0.30 to 0.50 cm era 300 power cable to avoid the snake that spiral at the back of the era 300 stand

A Google search might turn something up. Sonos doesn’t sell one. 

Thanks, I did (and still do) try google but didn’t find as of today. 

… but I’m sure it’ll come from Asia, one day or another, if Sonos doesn’t release one before. 

I’ve often found a variety on Amazon, although never quite what I needed, so on occasion I’ve just made my own. The biggest challenge was the PLAY:1, which had its own plug type to connect to the speakers, but many other speakers used fairly standard connectors, which made things easier.

I usually keep the original cable, and modify a replacement, just in case. It’s not terribly hard to cut to a specific length, and add a power plug, but you need to be careful, since ultimately you’re dealing with something that will carry  electrical current.

And of course, it likely breaks any warranty with the product, since you’re modifying it out of factory specifications. 

I though about doing my own like you suggest (since this special C7 cable at the back is going up - or down and the plug that gets inside the speaker has to be longer than what we find on the internet and what makes it a little bit more complicated is that it is bent/curved - don’t know the exact word in english ) But i’ll wait a while for warranty purpose... 

I’ll contact Sonos to know if they intend to release one (short - and for this post in here longer ones)

That’s why I always cut the other end, the one that goes in to the wall. Easier to find an appropriate plug for that end at my local hardware store. 

For those who can help. I know this works fine for the era 100. https://a.co/d/912Spfs

The long Sonos Power Cable I (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/power-cable-i) looks like it should work even if it isn’t angled. Has anyone tried that? 

The long Sonos Power Cable I (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/power-cable-i) looks like it should work even if it isn’t angled. Has anyone tried that? 

That's what I use. 

Finally found this aftermarket cable if anyone’s interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Vebner-12-Foot-Power-Compatible-Speakers/dp/B0C8QQ7BW3/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=LFE1K7ZS5T7V&keywords=Vebner%2B12-Foot%2BPower%2BCord%2BCompatible%2Bwith%2BSonos%2BEra%2B100%2Band%2BEra%2B300%2BSpeakers%2B(12-Foot%2C%2BBlack)&qid=1696082128&sprefix=vebner%2B12-foot%2Bpower%2Bcord%2Bcompatible%2Bwith%2Bsonos%2Bera%2B100%2Band%2Bera%2B300%2Bspeakers%2B12-foot%2C%2Bblack%2B%2Caps%2C424&sr=8-1&th=1&psc=1