Answered

Five

• 20 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Badge +2

Can i use a pair of Fives instead of Arc for my home theatre set up? Will i then be able to listen to Music in 2.1 & movies in 5.1 when desired?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 20 May 2023, 14:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

No you will need one of these Sonos devices listed below for output of the TV HT front channels

• Playbar
  • Amp
  • Beam Gen1 or 2
  • Ray
  • Playbase
  • Arc/Arc SL

See this link too for the TV requirements for Sonos HT speakers and surrounds…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/tv-requirements-for-sonos-home-theater-speakers

Badge +2

But i will watch the movies on my Mac & stream sound over Wi-Fi 

But i will watch the movies on my Mac & stream sound over Wi-Fi 

Using what software/hardware to provide a connection/audio-output to your Fives, which by all accounts will play the sent audio in stereo anyway, that’s if they’re setup standalone, or paired? You will need a mentioned Sonos HT product to get 5.0/1 surround sound.

Badge +2

Was goin to buy a pair of Sonia five with a subwoofer & add rear channels later will watch movies on mac & srream sound over Airplay to the setup, how is that gonna work? Basically am buyin the Fives & a sub for music & was thinkin of  a pair  of One SL for rear speakers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Was goin to buy a pair of Sonia five with a subwoofer & add rear channels later will watch movies on mac & srream sound over Airplay to the setup, how is that gonna work? 

It isn’t. However many times you ask the question, the answer will be the same.
For a home theatre system you need a home theatre device. From Sonos, that means Arc, Beam or Ray. Either of those give you your front 3 channels, and you can add two rear speakers and a Sub to that. The rears could be your pair of Fives. You can still play music through that system. 

Badge +2

Ok, thanks

Was goin to buy a pair of Sonia five with a subwoofer & add rear channels later will watch movies on mac & srream sound over Airplay to the setup, how is that gonna work? Basically am buyin the Fives & a sub for music & was thinkin of  a pair  of One SL for rear speakers 

No it won’t work for HT surround sound - sorry you will need one of the Sonos HT products - those products receive the 5.1 audio channels and immediately distribute them to ‘bonded’ surround speakers/sub over a 5Ghz Ad-hoc WiFi network.

The Fives do not have the ability to handle all 5 HT channels and the .LFE channel in that way… So you would just get 2ch stereo playback over Airplay. You may, from time to time, encounter some lip-sync issues too with the video on screen, at least I’ve personally seen that issue with Airplay in the past. 

Badge +2

Thank you