Answered

Can I connect an Epson EH-Tw7000 series projector via BT to a Sonos play 5

I think the title says it all, the Epson has a BT facility and I would like to connect to the Play 5 gen 1 via BT, can it be done?

I have this set up in my garden room gym, I have ATV HDR10 for running Zwift (cycling app) through the projector and only use the Sonos for playing music via my Iphone to the Sonos play 5. 

With the play offs looming I would like to watch the match on the projector and hopefully have the audio via the Sonos play 5. 

I did a search on the projector for BT devices and nothing showed, is there a method for putting the sonos into pairing mode?

The Sonos is second hand and a few years old but work perfectly and good enough for what I need. If all else fails I can watch the match via the projector and have the commentary via the radio😁

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 May 2023, 01:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7

The Play:5 (Gen 1) isn’t Bluetooth compatible. The only Sonos speakers that are Bluetooth compatible are the Era 300, Era 100, Move, Roam, and Roam SL.

You could possibly add a Bluetooth adapter to the Play:5, but you will probably have lip sync issues.

No. The command from the remote controller on your phone is sent via the LAN (either by wire or wifi, or a combination) to the computer running on the speaker. That computer reaches out to the streaming company to get the source. 

Userlevel 7

OK, probably not the brightest here but isn’t spotify bluetoothed from my phone to the speaker?

The Spotify app uses “Spotify Connect” which is different than Bluetooth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No. There's no way the sound of the projector would get to the Play 5 via wifi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Nothing else for it then but to use the audio from the radio. Thanks for putting me right. If I do decide at some stage to look at new speakers it looks like BT is the only option.

Or you could get a projector with some usable audio output ports.

I only just bought this one and paid over my budget so I’ll keep what I have and do without sound for now. I never use the audio anyway, I may do in the future so I’ll look at it then.

OK, probably not the brightest here but isn’t spotify bluetoothed from my phone to the speaker?

OK, since this will be a one off it looks like I’ll be using the radio for audio.

Or is it possible to connect the projector (which I have done) to my wireless network connect via that?

Nothing else for it then but to use the audio from the radio. Thanks for putting me right. If I do decide at some stage to look at new speakers it looks like BT is the only option.