BOSE SoundDock II

Userlevel 2
  • Contributor I
  • 5 replies
Does anyone have a ZP90 hooked up to the aux input on a bose sound dock II? If yes, does it automatically power on when u hit play on the sonos? And does the volume change with the sonos remote or would the bose be controlling that?

I recently purchased a sonos bundle and I am very pleased with it. I just want to be able to have an easy setup in the spare bedroom when guests stay. I like the idea of having a system in there where they can charge their ipod/iphone, play music off their own unit or choose to play from my catalog.

Does anyone have a setup like this? I dont really want to go for a multi-speaker setup in here, there are many reasons which i won't go into. I like the idea of a ZP90 feeding an all in one unit like the sound dock. But have the auto power on and have sonos control the volume. Am I asking too much?

Thanks.

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

JH4,

I do not know about the Bose power switching.

In any case, you'll be juggling two remote controls because you'll need to select AUX with the Bose remote.

Note that there is a potential "war" if both volume controls are active. You can disable the SONOS volume control by setting the ZP90's Line-Out to "fixed" and use the Bose volume control.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Buzz. I don't relish the idea of juggling remotes. I just want a one piece unit with quasi surround sound that fits well with the zp90.

On somewhat of a tangent I was also thinking about possibly putting a powered soundbar on top of a wardrobe. Of course I would want it as slimline as possible. But that could give the spacial sound effect and then i would add a separate docking unit. Moves away from my one piece unit idea a bit though.

I will keep on looking.
I have the same setup with a Cambriodge Soundworks Desktop Radio, and I'm familiar with the Bose. The Bose will not turn power up automatically, you have to turn it on manually, and choose AUX. You have a choice of setting a fixed volume on the Bose and using the Sonos volume, or vice versa. Note that when you use the Sonos volume, the Bose volume can still be changed, possibly confusing some guests.

To tell the truth, I can't think of the last time I switched my radio off AUX. It stays on at almost all times, and with the selection avilable on Sonos, I really have no need for AM/FM/iPod etc.
Userlevel 2
Thanks jgatie. Does the Cambridge Unit you mention have the auto power on? How do you like it's audio performance?

Yes, I dont imagine if I had something similar whether i would have it pointing to anything other than the sonos. So in that regard maybe i am wasting money a bit on features i wouldnt necessarily use. But I don't know of a speaker only alternative apart from a bulkier soundbar type thing.
Thanks jgatie. Does the Cambridge Unit you mention have the auto power on? How do you like it's audio performance?

Yes, I dont imagine if I had something similar whether i would have it pointing to anything other than the sonos. So in that regard maybe i am wasting money a bit on features i wouldnt necessarily use. But I don't know of a speaker only alternative apart from a bulkier soundbar type thing.

No, no auto power for the Cambridge. I like the audio quality better than the Bose, which is why I purchased it. I had the radio before my Sonos purchase, so pairing it with a ZP80 was a natural for me.
Userlevel 2
I am also looking at B&W Zeppelin, a little pricey but I like the look and the sound. It just hard to find out about the auto power on feature. I guess most reviewers and users of these systems arent concerned with auto power on when a signal is detected through an AUX input but I really want that to mesh well with sonos.

I just need to find people who have hands on experience (sonos owners being my first stop) or go down to the local electronics store with audio device in hand and start plugging it in.
Bose 300 sound bar, better than sonos ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
At what?
I'm asking, for people's opinion, as far as the sound and functionality, hdmi connection, remote control, overall sound, etc, would I be better waiting for sonos, to update their sound bar, I know it sounds good, it seems people on here, feel the sonos bar, has been left behind a little
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos playbar is limited because tv mfg went away from standards with optical output. I wouldn't be surprised for it to have some type replacement by next holiday season. However how it works for you is of personal situation. It is a great sounding playbar but not for everyone because of limits to optical input.