apple tv… old chestnut

• 22 January 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi,

So this is what I’ve got…

1st gen Apple tv4k

sony bravia 43xf7596

with standard arc (not eArc), HDCP2.3(for HDMI™️1/2/3/4), Dolby™️ Digital, Dolby™️ Digital Plus, Dolby™️ Pulse

A Sonos beam gen 2 sound bar (supports arc, eArc, etc)

My Apple settings for audio format allows me to choose EITHER auto or 5.1 (followed by a warning that I may get poor sound)

if I play sound through the Netflix app on my virgin media box, I get DD atmos etc shown on my Sonos sound bar output. Great!

if I play the same sound through the Netflix app (or play any other video) via the Apple TV 4K box, I just get PCM 2.0. On my sono app.  No surround sound.  Just pcm.

So, in layman’s terms, how can I get surround sound (or better) from my Apple TV box through my beam sound bar?

I’ve read countless articles, hearing about eArc, buying an arc to eArc converter, updating to gen 2&3 ATV, switching ATV format to just 5.1 despite the warning…. I’m lost… what should I really do?

would a newer gen Apple TV help?  Please explain simply for me…

please could somebody help me? I’m in my 60’s and no spring chicken…

thanks.

7 replies

To be fair, had the 5.1 set up on the ATV and much prefer that than the PCM 2.0.   Don’t think I’ll go down the HD FURY route.   I was more curious about the HDFURY to be honest .  Will prob replace my tv in a few years and that will sort everything out.   

So, at the moment all HDMI connections (from my virgin box, DVD player, Apple TV) go directly to the back of the tv.    A single ARC goes to the Sonos beam.     

if I use only the Hdfury for my Apple TV 4K,  would this use up the only arc connection and prevent tv apps on my smart tv, virgin box and DVD player outputting to the beam aswell?   Would I therefor need a switcher to allow Dolby / atmos from my other devices?  

Does this look right? 

is there and loss of picture or audio with all these connections?

or can I do this… I see that the hdfury is splitting the Apple pic and audio signal.   This separated audio signal is going straight to the beam, right?   and the Apple TV picture is still going to a standard hdmi tv port?   

BUT - The Sonos beam only has one hdmi arc input  so, where do  I connect the arc from my SMART tv to ?   Is there 2 arc inputs on the HDfury?  One to accommodate the tv so it can sen audio from the tv to tne sound bar aswell?

thanks

Ok thanks.  Would upgrading Apple TV from gen 1 to 3 make much difference if I don’t have eArc?

I'm still happy with Sonos beam, all baby steps, just wish they did courses in this.. 😂

No that would not make any difference, you either need an (enhanced) eARC port on your TV, or you can bypass the TV altogether with an audio extractor. See below examples:

HDFury Arcana

https://www.hdfury.uk/product/hdfury-arcana/

Feintech VAX04101A

https://feintech.eu/en/collections/hdmi-topseller/products/feintech-vax04101-hdmi-earc-pass-switch-4x1-for-soundbar

Ok thanks.  Would upgrading Apple TV from gen 1 to 3 make much difference if I don’t have eArc?

I'm still happy with Sonos beam, all baby steps, just wish they did courses in this.. 😂

So ignore the warning about poor quality?  

any thoughts on why atv can’t automatically send 5.1 / Dolby to the TV and to the Sonia?

thanks

The poor quality warning relates to the fact you do not have eARC available on your TV, which is required for the uncompressed Multichannel LPCM codec - instead you will get compressed Dolby Digital 5.1, which you will likely prefer over PCM stereo.

So ignore the warning about poor quality?  

any thoughts on why atv can’t automatically send 5.1 / Dolby to the TV and to the Sonia?

thanks

Userlevel 7

In the Apple TV audio settings, set Change Format to ON and set the Audio Format to Dolby Digital 5.1.