Airplay 2 Support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

More similar than different.
95% different.
Hmm.

I would appreciate it if you quote me in context, to whit "the hardware is 95% different". Sonos has said the only hardware shared between the two is the base and the power cord. . . . "hardware" . . . Got it yet?

Note the 95% is my estimate, though I will admit it is not exact. If you wish, I will give better numbers. Would you like that by volume or weight?
Here is the WWDC session on Airplay 2.
https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/509

Watched a few minutes. So, you will STILL need your phone to source the music stream?! They've learned nothing from SonosNet or Chromecast? Amazing.
I thought both were in context and were referring to the hardware.
Equally, had anybody else (bar a select few) quoted a 95% figure they would usually have been met with a ‘How do you know this?’ response so assumed you knew this figure as fact and hadn’t just plucked it out of thin air and used it to make a point as you now appear to have done.

You assumed wrong; one statement was in the context of "the hardware is 95% different" and the other had no such context. Maybe I should have clarified for those who like to parse posts like frames of the Zapruder film:

1) The vast majority of the hardware is different between the two, sans the base and power cord. Whether that is equal to my estimate of 95%, who knows? I guess nits are for picking.

2) Some reviews say there are sonic differences, but that does not mean it is to the same extent as a comparison of other models.

3) Given the size similarities, same tweeter/woofer configuration, slightly different color schemes, and apparent sonic similarities, they are really more alike than different, despite the lack of shared hardware.

Clear enough?

Watched a few minutes. So, you will STILL need your phone to source the music stream?! They've learned nothing from SonosNet or Chromecast? Amazing.

I like SonosNet but pretty much nothing about Chromecast but that's another subject.
Yes you use your phone or tablet as the source. Not an issue for me but I can see the point.
The Homepod will use it's wifi connection to stream music from the cloud no matter where it is controlled from.
Look at about 10:40. It says the content can be local or in the cloud. Hence the Homepod pulling from the cloud. I assume this can be done with other devices too.
Apple AirPlay2 (meant for another thread which I'll try to find).

Unlike the original AirPlay, AirPlay 2 doesn't require special hardware anymore, but is entirely software-based, which allows for companies like Sonos to add support to their devices after the fact
by https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16418944/sonos-airplay-2-support-apple-ios-siri-2018

BOSE's measley SoundTouch alarm clock will have AirPlay2 support ... yet my much more capable and more expensive limited edition all Black Sonos Play:1's (2) will NOT get AirPlay2 support because Sonos wants me to purchase a One?

I have NO inclination, nor incentive, nor desire to have a speaker that listens with a microphone beyond tuning the speaker in my apartment. Since I cannot connect Sonos One in HomeKit and use it as a remote microphone/speaker to an existing WiFi/LTE connected home security system, then no I don't want the Sonos One or a similar product.

Way to go ... you'll be loosing a customer, and excellent word of mouth in 2018. Should I choose a speaker with a microphone with voice control, it'll be one I can trust, can be used in HomeKit, Supports AirPlay2 and can be used as part of my home security system: HomePod thus far will fit that bill and seemingly competitively priced against the Play:5.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2017/509/
Why do you think the Play 1 will not get Airplay 2?
As far as I can tell, the whole thing is still under development, so we don’t know whether or not you would be required to have one newer device to get the signal in to the Sonos ecosystem in some way, or whether all devices have the necessary WiFi cards that will accept the signal. Rather than jumping to conclusions, which we all tend to do, why don’t we wait for development to finish, and Sonos to announce how it works? I’m certain they would be doing everything possible to make it work with as many devices as possible.
It seems Sonos has said the entire current range and even older models will work with Airplay 2. I'd google around on that to see the sources.
It seems Sonos has said the entire current range and even older models will work with Airplay 2. I'd google around on that to see the sources. Let's hope so. I just ordered another Play:1 Would be a shame if it is only supported on the newer devices.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am going to assume if you have one Sonos device hat is capable you can group any other Sonos unit to that one to get the signal. Ie if you have a play:5 gen2 you can play from iOS tonthat speaker then group in any other speakers you want to play the same music. But you have to have the play:5 playing that stream. Kind of like with playbar you can play tv sound to any speaker in the house as long as the playbar is playing tv.

The make or break element of this chris will be whether you have to leave the airplay controller on your iOS device to do the grouping. If you airplay from iOS then group in SONOS app, it’s a very poor user experience. If however one device acts as the hub for all other speakers, perfect.

We live in hope...

I am not sure but what I understood from Apple side it is that Airplay2 on iOS will have the same functionalities than Airplay from iTunes application on your Mac. Which means you ould group different speakers.

Now if iOS will let you do that from your iPhone and use directly for instance iOS Apple Music application, then there will be no need anymore of Sonos app. An end that I am not sure Sonos will agree with.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Reading http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/06/airplay-2-on-existing-speakers-requires-firmware-update-raising-questions-for-apples-airport-express

It seems that Airplay2 will need a firmware update or new hardware to get a full compatibility. Also, regarding the speaker manufacturer, some will provide an update others won't.
The question now is where Sonos will stand?
Userlevel 1
Badge
"Unlike the original AirPlay, AirPlay 2 doesn't require special hardware anymore, but is entirely software-based, which allows for companies like Sonos to add support to their devices after the fact."

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16418944/sonos-airplay-2-support-apple-ios-siri-2018
Special hardware means something quite different from a minimum hardware requirement. It just may be that the Apple requirements are such that the processors in the older Sonos devices cannot keep up.
Additionally, there could be some sort of memory constraint on older hardware. Sonos might not be able to add the necessary code to older devices that could interpret the airplay 2 signal. I've no idea how tight they are, but it's a possibility that their memory is maxed out already, with all the other changes to the Sonos controller and music sources.
Badge
Wto the original poster: it seems it’s scenario (ii) since, apparently it’s settled that AirPlay 2 is only for the newer touch control products: One, Play:5 (2nd Gen) and Playbase.

The remainder old products can be coupled with these new ones, but that means they will not be independently available as AirPlay speakers not available on the Home app.

Even the Airport Express from 2012 seems to be supported (judging from the reports on the latest iOS Betas), so it would be interesting to know if it’s actually a technical limitation or just a strategic decision by Sonos.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/4/25/17283114/sonos-apple-airplay-2-support-details#comments
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, it looks like devices that Sonos still currently sell such as PlayBar and Play:1 & Play:3 won't get Airplay 2.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
If that is the case. They should come out with a unit that you can add to a group so airplay2 can find the connect connect amp and play1 and play3. Since they said groups with at least one sonos one will make that group airplay2 compatible. Seem like they have the tech already. Just take the brains of the Sonos one and package it as as hub for airplay2 amazon and Google assistance.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
In the recent blog post by Sonos (https://blog.sonos.com/en/airplay2-coming/) they say that

Today, we’re confirming that newer Sonos speakers like Play:5, Playbase and Sonos One will support AirPlay 2, as will future Sonos products. When you group one of these Airplay-enabled speakers with older Sonos devices, you can bring AirPlay capabilities to your entire Sonos system.

From the way this is written, it seems like that you have to start by casting AirPlay 2 content to one of the newer speakers, then group with an old one. I was hoping they would do this a bit more automagically by having internal logic that said that "ok, the user selected this old play:3, so I will silently start the stream on this new Play:One speaker and forward it to this old one" or whatever. Of course, this could still be how it works out, but from the description it seems to be more... manual.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
It sound like if you have the 5.1 setup with either the Sonos ones or the playbase. That whole group will play the airplay data once you pick that on iOS or Mac. No need to group after casting
If that is the case. They should come out with a unit that you can add to a group so airplay2 can find the connect connect amp and play1 and play3. Since they said groups with at least one sonos one will make that group airplay2 compatible. Seem like they have the tech already. Just take the brains of the Sonos one and package it as as hub for airplay2 amazon and Google assistance.
... Or just buy a Sonos ONE.

From the way this is written, it seems like that you have to start by casting AirPlay 2 content to one of the newer speakers, then group with an old one. I was hoping they would do this a bit more automagically by having internal logic that said that "ok, the user selected this old play:3, so I will silently start the stream on this new Play:One speaker and forward it to this old one" or whatever. Of course, this could still be how it works out, but from the description it seems to be more... manual.
This would indeed be magically.
Badge
Trying to work stuff out from various different threads here :D

Reading through this one, I think if I was sat in a room that didn't have an AP2 compatible speaker in it and I had to first send the stream to where the Sonos One is, then group the Sonos One with the speakers where I'm sat, then remove the Sonos One from that group, frankly I think I'll pass on the whole topic (which will save me money anyway by not buying the Sonos One in the first place).

There are two reasons for this. Firstly I find the whole method of moving music from one room to another by grouping / ungrouping to be very clunky as it is. Would be nice to be told I'm doing this wrong!! Secondly, if someone was in the room where the Sonos One is it would like scare the living cr*p out of them at best, at worst, interrupt what they might be doing (watching TV, having a conversation with someone etc.). Not a good idea.

So I'm still hoping a lot of it is transparent. Clearly I guess Sonos are not going to go into this level of detail yet which is a shame because I already missed the "2 for £300" promotion because I'm not prepared to buy something based on assumptions. It would be nice if either that offer reappears when AP2 comes out or a similar discount on 1 unit for a brief period. We can hope I guess.
Badge
@jgatie - thanks for that info. I will check it out in the Sonos app later. It doesn't surprise me if I'm doing things in an overcomplicated manner. I don't think I've ever read any documentation or anything, I've only ever just prodded about until it worked.

Ironically, I'm not in the app right now because I'm listening to Apple Music over Airplay 1 to my pair of Gen 1 Play5's. I'd used AirConnect in the past but don't remember why I didn't stick with it. Most likely it was a stuttering mess? Not so this time however, I just put it on one of the VMs running in the background on my server and it's working like a charm. If it continues to then to be honest the hole AirPlay2 subject will become irrelevent to me since I don't really want it for the audio from video or anything, just music.