Airplay 2 Support

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

103 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I suspect it is more an issue with available ram and a processor power that can crunch that hw requirement of airplay2.I do too - and was just wondering why so much 'crunching' is needed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Airplay 2 has a video aspect maybe you can not separated the 2. Like for YouTube airplay 2 support. Need to see the final airplay2 release by apple to really know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Good point about video. Although one would assume Sonos only needs to deal with the audio mainly, there may well be some overhead for AV sync maintenance.
We can only speculate till we actually see the end result from Apple and Sonos, but I, for one, will be happy if the AirPlay-2 audio implementation by Sonos syncs with the video on all my iOS devices.

I'm hoping that will also include Apple TV. It may even include 5.1 surround sound, but that's just more wishful thinking.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I am extremely disappointed that Play:1 doesn't support Airplay 2 which I got a pair of Play:1.

Sonos did not clear the differences between Play:1 and One before besides the mic and voice control only. It would be better if you promote as 'advanced hardware' than Play:1. Now I have to get a Sonos One just to get the support of Airplay 2 but only the pair of Play:1 can work as stereo. :S

Nope, Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I am extremely disappointed that Play:1 doesn't support Airplay 2 which I got a pair of Play:1.

Sonos did not clear the differences between Play:1 and One before besides the mic and voice control only. It would be better if you promote as 'advanced hardware' than Play:1. Now I have to get a Sonos One just to get the support of Airplay 2 but only the pair of Play:1 can work as stereo. :S

Nope, Sonos.

Well I would say if you got your play 1 within the last month or so. Or if you brought it from Sonos direct you get Sonos 100 day home trail. Contact Sonos about exchanging them for Sonos ones.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Nope, Sonos.

Well I would say if you got your play 1 within the last month or so. Or if you brought it from Sonos direct you get Sonos 100 day home trail. Contact Sonos about exchanging them for Sonos ones.

Thanks for sharing. It may help others here.
However, I bought it at Apple Store and not in the US.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I would still contact Sonos if it was recently. They are very helpful even outside the US.

Nope, Sonos.

Sonos made it very clear that the only device guaranteed to support Airplay 2 would be the Sonos One.
Badge
My whole thing is that maybe I do not WANT speaker with a voice assistance. Nor do I need a Play:5 or a Playbase. But yet Sonos still sells Play:1s (that they admit is 10+ year old technology) that do not support AirPlay 2?

My assumption is that they will update these to a generation 2 and introduce the capability to have AirPlay 2 to a Play:1 that does not require voice assistant.

I am also hopeful of some accessory that can be added on to support it natively. Besides AirConnect which I use today. Minor lag of audio.
[...] My assumption is that they will update these to a generation 2 and introduce the capability to have AirPlay 2 to a Play:1 that does not require voice assistant. [...]
I daresay that the Sonos ONE is Play:1 Gen 2. And what about Siri? How would one talk to Siri in the absence of microphones?
Badge
Re: The whole 64bit thing, we can speculate till we're blue in the face however I can tell you that a 64bit architecture requirement categorically does not necessarily mean a 32bit device cannot communicate using the protocol in question. Certainly it could, for a number of reasons, not least if there is a requirement to link, statically or otherwise with Apple libraries to do it (that would basically kill 32 bit devices and AP2), but it would even be possible to work around that using a proxy process / service - quite likely not within the Apple Developer / Partner agreement mind. But again a protocol is basically a language that defines how two devices talk to each other and what they will say. Furthermore, it could be that the data they shift about has to be 64bits wide and if it has to arrive at the destination in one piece as a 64bit chunk then that would likely kill it too..

I honestly am not privy to the detail of Airplay 2 since my Apple Developer enrolment expired quite some years ago. Don't get hung up on Apple's deprecation of 32bit however. Yeah, it may be the issue. If my money were on anything however, it would be on the size of free on-board memory for a larger buffer and the processing grunt to get the data into and out of that buffer.
Badge
[...] My assumption is that they will update these to a generation 2 and introduce the capability to have AirPlay 2 to a Play:1 that does not require voice assistant. [...]
I daresay that the Sonos ONE is Play:1 Gen 2. And what about Siri? How would one talk to Siri in the absence of microphones?

And if I do not want a speaker with a voice assistant? If that is what they push as generation 2, they will lose ground. Not everyone talks to their devices. Had a Google Home - returned it. Have multiple iOS devices, rarely use Siri. Am not a big enough Amazon user to use Alexa.

And if I do not want a speaker with a voice assistant?

Simple. Don't load a voice assistant. If you are especially paranoid, turn off the microphone, which is hardwired to the LED on top, so you will know if it is ever turned on by a hack.

Any other questiions?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Question - I have a living room setup with the Play Bar, Sub and Play:1 for surround sound. If I replace one of the surround sound speakers with a Sonos One, do you think I will be able to take advantage of AirPlay 2 for the living room setup?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I’m sure I saw somehwere on this forum that with the announcement of the new sonos Beam that the Sonos software would also be updated to supoort Ap2 (viw compatibole play devices), i think the Beam is available on the 17th - so is there a date for when the software uodate will be available. i’d assume that fir the Beam to work for existing customers - that the update would land a few days before the Beam ships. Any more info on that available? Applogies if already asked and answered on on of the other Ap2 threads. There are so many itnis hard to keep up! 🆒
I recommend ignoring all social media rumours on this topic for a few days.
So I'm assuming that a current Sonos:Connect will not get the Airplay 2 support, correct?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Very interested in this. Which Sonos products will specifically support airplay 2? Are there any limitations to specific products? Would love to hear directly from Sonos on this.
Very interested in this. Which Sonos products will specifically support airplay 2? Are there any limitations to specific products? Would love to hear directly from Sonos on this.
We're not quite sharing all the details on this yet, still early into development. Newer players have the needed hardware. So the PLAYBASE, PLAY:5 gen2, and the Sonos One will all have it.

The earlier you announce it, the earlier you can help consumer to make up decision how they can setup their system and stop them running into competitors like HomePod
What good are my other play 1s and soundbars going to be with no airplay support? Some of my speakers will work with it and some won’t? That doesn’t sound like whole home audio. Alexa is fine but I only use it because airplay and Siri aren’t available yet.
I’m not complaining. I’m just trying to find out if I should replace my play:1 speakers now while they are worth more. Once the ONE speakers are available people will pay less for used Play:1 speakers. But if I don’t have to replace them I won’t.
My hope is if you have a Play:5 gen 2 or Sonos ONE that it acts as the hub of sorts. So if I have audio playing in Apple Music and open my speaker options in Control Center, I want to see ALL my Sonos speakers listed as an audio target. Just as it currently works within the Spotify app, I want to see as I do now: living room, kitchen, and bedroom. That is the implementation I want at minimum.
That sounds reasonable to me. As long as your Airplay 2 sending unit can see the receiving unit, it should extend to all the connected devices.

I'd actually have a hard time understanding if it were implemented in any other way.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Check post #6 in this thread. Sounds like good news.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/exciting-partnerships-in-the-queue-6791309