1 Play5 vs pair of Play 1s

• 30 October 2013
  • 30 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Badge
I don't have any experience with the Play:1s, but I have stereo paired some Play:3s to compare back and forth with a single Play:5. The stereo separation was really noticeable and appreciated, but the difference in bass was very substantial. It was more than I expected and enough to make me personally prefer the single Play:5 for that big living room. I would think the difference to the Play:1s would be even bigger.

What I haven't tried is adding the Sub to the pair of 3s. I might play with that this weekend.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
what about a pair of play 1's vs a play 3?
Kind of the same answer. A Play 3 is smaller with a lower "top volume" and bass output level compared to a Play 5 but is louder and larger than the Play 1s, still with the same limitations regarding stereo image.

So if volume is not key or small footprint (and/or humidity tolerance) are, then a pair of Play 1s might well be better than a single Play 3 or Play 5.

Of course if the stereo image on a Play3/5 becomes an issue you can always add another to gain the best of worlds - good stereo and thumping volume!
Badge +4
Something else to think about: Play:1 is better suited for bathrooms than Play:5 ('Humidity Resistant').
Badge
I was wondering the same, what about a pair of play 1's vs a play 3?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Depends on your needs; volume, best stereo image, size/space available etc.

If you need volume and/or better base a Play 5 will be better but for stereo image a pair of Play 1s would work best.

Just my 2d worth!