Yonomi controls Sonos through Cloud API

• 17 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Just got an email with this announcement.

https://www.yonomi.co/blog/2019/1/17/control-your-sonos-system-from-anywhere-with-our-latest-update

I haven't used Yonomi in a while, but this warrants another look I think. I don't think Yonomi is unique in controlling Sonos through the cloud (meaning you don't have to connect to your wifi) but the interface may be preferable to other options.

Just from a glance, it may be a good way from setting up predefined group you can control by voice, as an alternative to Alexa groups.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I received a similar e-mail yet I cannot complete the set-up instructions provided at https://www.yonomi.co/blog/2019/1/17/control-your-sonos-system-from-anywhere-with-our-latest-update

In step 5 "On the next screen, click ‘Connect’ and follow the prompts to sign into your existing Sonos cloud account using your Sonos credentials.

If you do not have a Sonos cloud account, you will need to create one and add your existing Sonos speakers before integrating with Yonomi.

If you forgot your password, follow the instructions or contact Sonos customer support to retrieve it before continuing."

Trying to login with my Sonos account, results in error message "Incorrect email or password, please try again".

Does having a Sonos account automatically mean I have a Sonos cloud account?
If not, how can I activate a Sonos cloud account?
If so, how come I can login at sonos.com and Yonomi keeps giving me error messages using the same credentials?
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
A Sonos account is the same as a Sonos Cloud account, yes. If you forget the email address you used, the Sonos app will show it I think - I can't find it in the Desktop app though (because Sonos hate desktop users). Not sure why Yonomi is unhappy with your credentials, unless maybe you are running an old (pre 9.x) Sonos system?

You can also use my Skill to group/ungroup speakers by voice, but it also requires a Sonos login to activate (and is US-only).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Note that a Sonos Account is different to the account used on this community site.

Does having a Sonos account automatically mean I have a Sonos cloud account?
If not, how can I activate a Sonos cloud account?
If so, how come I can login at sonos.com and Yonomi keeps giving me error messages using the same credentials?

I use the same login for the community as I do for my Sonos account, so I don't really think of them as different. It makes sense though as Sonos would want people to be able to login and participate in the community without having to first buy a product.

Anyway, as controlav was getting at, you can get the email address used for Sonos account from the app (more... -> Settings -> Account Settings) If you don't recall the password you used for the Sonos account, I'd go to the main page of Sonos.com and attempt to log in there (not the community pages). You should be able to do a password reset there. You may have to use the new password to log in with the Sonos app or any other place where you linked your Sonos account already.

Also, I've only got a chance to play around with it briefly, so far, it doesn't seem to be working very well. I cannot get grouping routines to work well. It's entirely possible I'm not setting up routines correctly, or it's very buggy
After contacting Sonos on Twitter, I managed to get Yonomi running - deinstalling the beta 9.2 app that was still installed on my iPhone alongside the current version of the public Sonos app seemed to interfere with Yonomi recognising me. Strange but true. Thanks for your replies! Problem solved.