Why would we continue to pay so much for a gloried stupid speaker? We do have options! Why Sonos?

• 27 October 2021
  • 9 replies

I really cannot believe, how much we as sonos speaker owner’s spend to get mediocre service, at best. The inflexibility of this company will be its demise. There are a number of companies that make comparable products for half the price and with far more functionality then these speakers, so why would we continue to pay so much for a gloried stupid speaker? 

I cannot even connect these stupid lead weights to my TV… is not that what any good home theater system should offer as a minimum?

Does anyone else feel the same way? Any Suggestions without having to invest another dime into these speakers?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I really cannot believe, how much we as sonos speaker owner’s spend to get mediocre service, at best. The inflexibility of this company will be its demise. There are a number of companies that make comparable products for half the price and with far more functionality then these speakers, so why would we continue to pay so much for a gloried stupid speaker? 

It’s never a good sign when a brand new poster presumes to speak on behalf of other Sonos speakers owners.  Then claims that whatever issue they are having (not yet mentioned) will be the end of the company, despite the fact that Sonos has been doing extremely well over the past year, compared to it’s previous history.

I cannot even connect these stupid lead weights to my TV… is not that what any good home theater system should offer as a minimum?

According to your profile, you bought a Sonos One SL, which is not designed to connect to your TV.  Do you have a different speaker (Arc, Beam, Amp) that actually is designed to work with your TV that you’re having issues with?

Does anyone else feel the same way? Any Suggestions without having to invest another dime into these speakers?

You’ll need to provide some info about the speakers you bought, the TV you have, and what problem your having before anyone can offer any sort of suggestion to you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@melvimbe Totally agree with your comments. I would also add that he goes on to talk about...

mavericklovsmusic wrote:
“There are a number of companies that make comparable products for half the price and with far more functionality then these speakers”

Well why not save us all and mention the comparable products that are half the price and far more functionality?  I would also like to know if the original poster knew about these comparable products before he bought from Sonos.  It sounds to me as if he did buy recently.  if this in fact is true, then why did you still buy Sonos knowing the other products are out there?  Seems you may not have done your due diligence then.  There are 10s of thousands of happy Sonos customers.  What generally happens with a situation like this is the end user/buyer has an issue and is frustrated and then starts to bad mouth a product.  I mean did you buy Sonos without any research what’s so ever?  Most people do some research and buy based on recommendations and reviews.  Granted there are issues with every product on the market.  But to go into a Sonos community group and make blanket statements like you did makes no sense.  Tell us, do you expect to get help from the Sonos community for your issue or you just want to bad mouth the product?  Why in the world would you call them lead weights and that you can’t connect them to your TV?  There is only one thing that connects to the tv.  Actually the tv connects to the Arc/Beam/Playbar by way of an hdmi cable.  All other speakers do not physically connect to the tv or the Arc/Beam/Playbar.  The other speakers work over wifi/ethernet.  I will say one more thing. I am a new Sonos owner. I did a ton of research on many products.  I wanted simplicity and esthetics.  I wanted wireless.  I was going to buy a theater setup for my living room.  I hooked up an Arc, Sub and two Sonos One SLs in living room. Before I received all the parts the wife and I loved it so much we immediately bought a 2nd home theater system for our bedroom, bought 10 Sonos Ones (has Alexa capability) and a Sonos Move for the entire home.  Cleanest install ever.  I do not have any ungodly wires and power cords and hdmi and other cables laying collecting dust in a cabinet and/or on the floor.  I don’t have to worry about running speaker wire all over the place. I actually replaced my Bose home theater that had all that wiring with the Sonos setup.

I can go on and on.  I did have an issue recently with Alexa but it was due to me relocating my speakers and it lost their connectivity.  Simple fix that had nothing to do directly with Sono.

Why don’t you enlighten us and tell us about this statement:

mavericklovsmusic wrote:
“There are a number of companies that make comparable products for half the price and with far more functionality then these speakers”

Tell us what are the “far more functions" in the other speakers.  Give examples.  I mean all you did was make a stupid post.  You do not provide any info so that anyone could try to help you, if in fact you wanted help.  You do not provide any info on the “comparable products”.  Here’s an idea, if you don’t like them, return them. I mean regardless of when you bought them if you bought them and you say you cannot connect the “lead weights” you should have returned right away.

mavericklovsmusic wrote:

So with this statement you are saying that Sonos is in the business of making speakers that you cannot use?

Just a troll. Ignore.

If any proof were needed that this is a troll, I cite as evidence, from the OP's profile:

Favorite Artists: Beyonce and Gaga

Favorite Genre: World Music

Lol.

PS edit. He allegedly has TWO voice assistants, but only bought Sonos One SL speakers. This is thoroughly incompetent trolling. 

Wow! I see a lot of negative feedback, but not much helpful advice. It would be nice to see as much energy put into positive suggestions and solutions. Based on the originator’s and a feedback reply, it seems as though the originator has more than one Sonos One SL speaker, and that they sound great when streaming music to them, but has caused much frustration at not being able to connect them to the TV. According to Sonos’ information about the One SL:

“Stream music, radio, audiobooks, and more from all your favorite services. Control is easy with the Sonos app and Apple AirPlay 2. Mix and match Sonos speakers around your home for multiroom listening, immersive home theater, and stereo sound. Everything works seamlessly together over WiFi.”

The “immersive home theater” statement by Sonos is somewhat misleading because a Sonos product that can be connected to the TV is needed in addition to the Sonos One SLs. In the same sales information for the One SLs, it suggests that the One SLs can be paired with a Beam. With the current price (November 2021) of the Beam (Gen 2) being $449, this would be a rather expensive solution because it exceeds the cost of the two One SLs that I assume the originator has.

Other Sonos sound bar solutions are even more expensive. For less expensive solutions, perhaps a used compatible Sonos Beam could be purchased.

Another partial solution is to take advantage of the One SL capability of playing via Airplay 2. With Airplay 2, you can have your TV play through the One SL speaker(s), assuming that you have a device that can play through your TV that is Airplay 2 compatible. With it, you can play sound through any Airplay 2 compatible device that is connected to the TV, whether it be Sonos, Bose, Apple HomePod mini, etc.

I hope that others might have additional feasible and affordable solutions to the problem.

The OP did a drive by post and 9 days later they haven't come back.  Most us have been here a long time, and we recognize a troll when we see it.

Some people read posts looking for helpful information and may not post or reply themselves. Helpful information can help more persons than the original posting person.

If a person purchases Sonos speakers that aren’t capable of being connected to the TV via HDMI or digital cable, then Airplay might be a solution that would avoid additional expenditure. That information might be helpful to someone wishing to connect a set of Sonos One SL or other similar speakers to their TV.

Airplay 2 can only be used to send audio from Apple devices. How do you propose audio be sent from a TV to Sonos One speakers using Airplay?

But more to the point, this thread is clearly nothing to do with a genuine desire for help. It's plainly trolling.  There are lots of us who come on here to give what we hope is helpful advice to genuine users with specific issues. That is not the situation here.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I don’t think mgoblue76 is on the same page as the rest of us.  The post you made and wanting to preach to others is a bit condescending.  If you cannot take what the OP wrote and see through it then you just wasted a bunch of time typing what you wrote.  Plus you are also kinda agreeing with the OP by explaining that yeah, they cost alot because you need to pair with a beam.  I don’t think you even read the posts properly or in the right order.   I am a bit shocked to read that you think the OP (Original Poster) “streams music through them and they sound great.”.  Where did you see that?  No way did the OP say that. With the One SL, it could be considered a lead weight if you cannot use it or connect it to a tv or play music through it.  As someone else pointed out here you cannot play Airplay without a device that can play it.  Go back to the first reply to the OP where the person talked about how no info was given other than bashing a product.  The OP never came back.  Now when someone else replied to your post about how the OP did a drive by, you replied that someone else may find the info useful.  Well in most cases people will never read your reply once they read the OPs original post. Most people don’t sit back and read a bunch of replies to a problem or question that does not pertain to them. The OP never stated anything that would fall in line with another persons problem.   

When we are looking to get help on something, we look for keywords or titles that relate to us.  If we find something, sometimes it is not 100% related but if close enough we continue to read on. However, once you start reading replies to this OP, it dies off.  Again, the OP seemed to have done a drive by and here we are still discussing.  Waste of time right?  MGOBLUE76 you even came off like I said before a bit condescending to us.  You claim you do not see much advice.  The first reply made to the OP was asking what other equipment the person has.  That person asked very pointed question.  We care not going to sit here and try to guess and think of all the stuff the person may or may not have and try to spit out the various things this person can do without some back and forth with the OP.  What we are all doing is posting about someone that came here with a nasty attitude, no replies since, not a bit of info that we can help with.  Your statement of not providing much advice in itself is an insult.  We cannot help someone that makes those kinds of statements and does not provide details. Plus if you felt you were helping, nothing in your reply was helpful.  Matter of fact the one piece of advice I saw is incorrect. I myself gave some info to assist and explain how the One SLs are used.  Sounds to me the OP just wants to troll or complain and did not do research.  Anyone looking to buy Sonos equipment and wants to play through tv and music separately would do a bit of research or even call Sonos.  If the OP has an issue with the speaker and you are not using it as it is intended, such as with a Beam or Arc, then call the vendor.  Take it back, get Sonos One that supports Alexa and Google Assistant directly.  Still need a beam or Arc, the newer soundbars, to get tv sound through speakers.  No more time should be wasted if someone is going to act the way they do.