Web App to Control Sonos Speakers (not required to be on your home wifi)

• 24 September 2018
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 2
Speaker scenes (https://speakerscenes.com) lets you play, pause, etc your Sonos speakers via a web app and while you're not connected to your home wifi. (You can also setup 'scenes' ie. set groups of speakers.)

Let me know if you have any feature requests! (I know I'm still missing things like volume control and adjusting the speakers in a group not via a scene.)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 2
@Guyincognito76 - I hope to have the Skill available in the UK by early next week. I'll let you know when.

@jmw_sono - Glad you like it. I was just thinking the same thing about selecting a scene from favorites. I'll try to find some time to get that done. On the select a service side, I'd love to do that, but the public Sonos APIs don't currently cover this. Finally, let me know how it works for you on a table and ideas you have on it. I use it on mine, but I'm still not fully happy with it.
Userlevel 2
@Guyincognito76 I've now added support for UK English, so it should be available now. Let me know if you run into any issues.
Userlevel 2
@jmw_sono You can now select scenes to play on in the favorites view.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Very nice, rowright. I know this is a request that some customers have expressed interest in, so I'm sure they will find this useful. Thanks for sharing!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi, rowright.

I’ve set up Siri Shortcuts no problem, but I can’t find the Alexa skill in the UK.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Finally got home to test this on my home system. Scenes worked great!!! In Favorites, love to be able to select a scene instead of just one speaker. Love to see where this goes but I am liking! If I can use this from my tablets I use for control this will be a great feature!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Upon further testing it does look like I can select the grouped speakers (Which I had done via the Scenes) So halfway there. But would be a two step process. If I could just go to you Favorites page and select the Scene, then play. It would be more like one step. Currently looks like I would go to Scenes. Load it. The Favorites, select the grouped speakers, and play. Combining that action would be very powerful! Great stuff!!! Of course next I would request it not be limited to just Favorites, but to actually pick services and load to a scene! Look forward to the future of this. Im a programmer and have 13 sets of speakers so if you would like me to test some stuff just let me know! Thanks for the brilliant idea and human interface!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
@rowright thanks, that’s brilliant.

‘Alexa, ask Speaker Sounds to play in everywhere’ isnt as pithy as ‘Hey, Siri play everywhere’ but it’s nice to have Siri be more efficient than Alexa for a change. 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Awesome! Ill give it a try once i get back to the house next week!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Not home yet to try but I did take a look from the hotel. I didn't have the Scenes options. But I just logged out and back in and I can now see them. Just wanted to let anyone else no, in case they weren't seeing them either.

Oh how I want to crank some tunes from the hotel, but I bet wife would be pissed, LOL!

Cant wait to try later this week!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Great Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just loaded a favorite to my most common scene. Most of these 5 speakers are grouped but one is a Playbar so every night it is dropped from the group when I watch TV. Just walked out for morning coffee, logged in, went to my favorites, picked the scene, and hit play on a favorite. Boom, speakers grouped and music playing. This is so awesome. Exactly what I have needed for years. With 20 speakers, scenes are very helpful.

With Sonos never adding anything new function wise, I hope they are watching and might possibly add features like this!!!

Great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm assuming that you're making use of Sonos' Cloud API to make all this work?

Is all of the "heavy lifting" being done by scripts run in the browser rather than on your server? Just wondering about the data path, and how much (if any) might go through your server.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I'm assuming that you're making use of Sonos' Cloud API to make all this work?

Is all of the "heavy lifting" being done by scripts run in the browser rather than on your server? Just wondering about the data path, and how much (if any) might go through your server.

This thread shows some responses from Sonos about the api.

Of course as usual, I think this isnt the best model (Cloud Based). But at least they have finally come out with something.
Here Sonos cant afford programmers to keep the Desktop functioning but this guy probably just playing around creates something really functional.

Hoping Sonos sees what people create and then maybe incorporates some ides, but we know that's probably not going to happen.

Would like this capability within my eco system not out on the cloud. But as you can see in this thread, doubt they every do.

https://en.community.sonos.com/smart-home-integrations-229108/why-cloud-api-6813979
Can you make it possible to manage the queue?
Excellent, Please can you make it clear what is happening as the colour change on the icons when play and pause is not clear to the colour blind, perhaps the icon can either be play or pause/stop like the Sonos Controller