Answered

Using Sonos APP to view/control Logitech Media Server

• 28 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello.  I am a very happy user of Logitech Media Server and now have Control4.  Unfortunately, there is no LMS api for Control4.  Does anyone know of a way that the Sonos App can access my Logitech Media Servier? (I am not asking if LMS can control sonos end points -- it does via the UPNP plugins but I don’t have any Sonos end points.)  

Thanks much…   darien

icon

Best answer by jgatie 28 April 2023, 18:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

yes i understand all that.  i am using logitech media server and their associated end points (6 squeezebox touches, and a transporter).  I am just looking to try and have the Sonos app control all this..  

I’m pretty sure the Sonos app can only control Sonos hardware. 

Logitech Media Server doesn't integrate with Control4 and thus I am missing functionality in that system.  Also then I have to switch between control4 and another app a lot.  I've tried to jump to other systems like Sonos or Rune but LMS is just so feature rich and customizable in many facets, it's hard to leave it.

To reiterate what was said by @106rallye , the Sonos controller is merely a remote, a window to see what is happening in the app that runs on the Sonos ‘end point’, a Sonos device / speaker. The controller itself has no inherent playback, or ability to ‘see’ anything, it depends on the application running on the Linux kernel in each Sonos device / speaker to do anything at all.

yes i understand all that.  i am using logitech media server and their associated end points (6 squeezebox touches, and a transporter).  I am just looking to try and have the Sonos app control all this..  

I have a similar / related question. I got my LMS to recognize my Sonos speaker by installing the UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin. I can now see my speaker and play my music over the Sonos.

However, skipping tracks and rewinding / fast forwarding doesn’t seem to work. I have my whole music collection stored as WAV files from ripped CDs with cue sheets. Is this not compatible with Sonos?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No “Sonos end points” means no Sonos devices? For what purpose would you want to use the Sonos app then? Remember also the Sonos app is just a remote for the devices - the devices run the software that play your music form the source you point them to.