Question

Switch on smart lights with specific speaker

I have purchased some strip lights to backlight my Playbar. Is there a way I can get these to power on when the Playbar is powered on specifically? They’re Alexa enabled, but I’m a complete novice with routines etc and I don’t believe I can use the Sonos as a trigger?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

You’d best have a look at IFTTT and or Yuomi.  I’m no expert but I think it may be able to achieve what you want.  I think you are going to have to learn a lot to get this working.  I spent a lot of time researching and reading to get something similar and lost patience.  

Thanks for the reply. I’m nearly getting to the point of losing patience too! Seems like it should be very simple…

My first thought was IFTTT but it doesn’t seem to allow you to use Sonos as a trigger (i.e. Playbar power on) nor engage an Alexa routine as a response (i.e. turn on Soundbar lights). I also briefly looked at Yonomi but that only seems to allow routines based on time or location, and SmartThings required a hub to communicate with Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks for the reply. I’m nearly getting to the point of losing patience too! Seems like it should be very simple…

My first thought was IFTTT but it doesn’t seem to allow you to use Sonos as a trigger (i.e. Playbar power on) nor engage an Alexa routine as a response (i.e. turn on Soundbar lights). I also briefly looked at Yonomi but that only seems to allow routines based on time or location, and SmartThings required a hub to communicate with Sonos.

The way in which I achieve this is by using my Harmony Ultimate Hub.  I have the ability to control my Hue lights as part of the activity to watch TV or Listen to Music - both of which can also be controlled via Alexa.

The way in which I achieve this is by using my Harmony Ultimate Hub.  I have the ability to control my Hue lights as part of the activity to watch TV or Listen to Music - both of which can also be controlled via Alexa.

Thanks for this.

I’m looking to keep it as simple as possible so want to avoid getting a hub. I guess I’ll have to settle for an Alexa schedule.