Sonos Integration with Samsung Smartthings

• 27 January 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge
I finally got my Smartthings and Sonos working together - I figured out much of it the hard way - lots of trial and error and internet research, Hope my posting below helps guide others who might be struggling to get their Smartthings integration working.

My system:
* Smartthings hub (IM6001-V3P01)
* Smartthings Classic app on Apple iPad
* Sonos Controller (ver 9.3) on Windows 10
* NetGear AC1900 Nighthawk wireless router
* 1ea Sonos Boost
* 1ea Playbar (Living Room)
* 2ea Play:5s (Living Room)
* 1ea Sub (Living Room)
* 1ea Play:5 (Kitchen)
* 1ea Sub (Kitchen)
* 1ea Playbase (Bedroom)
* 2ea Play:5s (Bedroom)
* 1ea Sub (Bedroom)
* 2ea Play:1 (Office)
* 1ea Play:5 (Office)

Problem: Smartthings / Samsung Connect (Jan-26-2019 download) would not recognize my Sonos system.

How I resolved:
1.) Samsung Connect app would not let me add my Sonos gear to Smartthings. I therefore installed the Smarthings Classic app to add my Sonos gear to ST.
2.) Before adding my Sonos devices via ST Classic app, it was necessary to add the address of each Sonos component to the IP address 'reservation' list in the NetGear admin LAN Setup. This allows network to service each Sonos device from a pre-defined (reserved) IP address table, as if it has a static IP (kind of).
3.) IP address for each player (speaker) can be found in the Sonos controller app: Help> About my Sonos System...
4.) Added each Sonos speaker in Smartthings Classic app: My Home > Add a Thing.
5.) After a minute or two, Smartthings Classic allowed the ST hub to discover all of my Sonos players.
6.) After adding my Sonos devices via Smarthings Classic app, I can now use either ST Classic or ST Samsung Connect app to view and/or configure my automations.

Other Helpful Hints:
A.) I found Smartthings Groovy IDE very helpful in the process: URL: https://graph.api.smartthings.com/
B.) See attached image of my router admin IP reservation settings"
- all devices on your network should be listed in one of your router admin screens.
- add each Sonos device to the 'IP reservation list.
- In my router admin screen, I also added a device name to visually associate with each IP address. This step wasn't necessary, but it gives one a better visual of your IP mappings.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, HamOperator. Wow, lots of great information here! I will be pointing others towards this thread when I see similar issues and will definitely reference it myself. Thank you very much for sharing.
@HamOperator, is there any automations/controls with Smartthings that you've found particularly useful?

Also, are using Amazon for voice control at all. One issue I had with Smartthings and Sonos is that once I added Sonos to Smartthings, and had both the Sonos and Smartthings Alexa smart skills enabled, I would see my speakers duplicated in Alexa, once by means of Sonos and once by means of Smartthings. I ended up deciding to remove Smartthings skill from Alexa entirely to avoid the mess.
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@HamOperator, is there any automations/controls with Smartthings that you've found particularly useful?

Also, are using Amazon for voice control at all. One issue I had with Smartthings and Sonos is that once I added Sonos to Smartthings, and had both the Sonos and Smartthings Alexa smart skills enabled, I would see my speakers duplicated in Alexa, once by means of Sonos and once by means of Smartthings. I ended up deciding to remove Smartthings skill from Alexa entirely to avoid the mess.

A way to avoid this is to deselect "Allow Alexa to access all devices, Scenes, and Routines" in the Amazon Alexa SmartApp in the SmartThings Classic app. Then within that same SmartApp manually select the devices you want in Alexa and do not select the Sonos. You can then use the Alexas Sonos and SmartThings skills without getting dupes.
Badge
Danny, Yes. We have voice control set up via Alexa. Alexa is enabled in one of my Ones, plus we have a couple of additional Amazon Echo dots. Having the dots and the Sonos skill, allows us to voice-activate music from nearly any room in our home. Voice activation seemed like a lot of effort. However, since we have voice-control integrated with Smartthings, it has become very natural and normal for us to use voice as the preferred method of control.
Badge
Thanks for the advice melvimbe
All I have are three Ones. Can I somehow set it up so my new sansung tv uses the ones for theater sound by using smartthings?