Question

Sonos Google Assistant Workaround?

• 15 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
So I got this idea to make google assistant easily work with sonos (kinda). Tell me if this should work (I didn't buy the sons beam yet):
1. Get a Sonos Beam and a Chromecast
2. Install (Connect the Beam via HDMI ARC to the TV)
3. In the Sonos App group all devices together
4. Use "Play X Song from Spotify on my TV"
5. Music plays on all Sonos Speakers (?)

If this works I'll get a Beam! Can someone confirm or deny that?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge
I use yonomi as a go between for my bedroom sonos one speakers and living room sonos setup (including the beam) so Google voice plays a predetermined set of playlists of albums and playlists that I have setup as routines on yonomi. A pain in the ass to set up each command individually but it works well as long as my phone or tablet is in the room to hear me issuing said commands.

I just took advantage of the spotify offer snd have a Google home mini in its way so that will be even better as I can keep it in the bedroom (I've always got at least one device in the living room anyway)

Lets know if you try it how you get on or if you find something better that works
Badge
So I got this idea to make google assistant easily work with sonos (kinda). Tell me if this should work (I didn't buy the sons beam yet):
1. Get a Sonos Beam and a Chromecast
2. Install (Connect the Beam via HDMI ARC to the TV)
3. In the Sonos App group all devices together
4. Use "Play X Song from Spotify on my TV"
5. Music plays on all Sonos Speakers (?)

If this works I'll get a Beam! Can someone confirm or deny that?
On step 4, what device are you talking to? If you're thinking it's the Beam, that definitely would not work. I mean, if you turned on Alexa and enabled Spotify with Sonos and Alexa, it works, but has nothing to do with Google Assistant or Chromecast.

If you meant that you were talking to a google assistant device, then yes, that should work. I'm assuming that the Google mini, or whatever you're using, can be instructed to have your chromcast play Spotify music, the TV is on, etc.