Answered

Request for Increase Length of Room Field

• 4 December 2019
  • 5 replies

Badge

I’m getting into voice control, which works best where devices are easy to distinguish.  The sixteen character limit for Sonos rooms is making things awkward.

Ideally, I’d like to use "Living Room Sonos”, where I also have “Living Room TV” and one day “Living Room Main Light” etc., but that Sonos name is too long.

I’m working around the limit with , “Living Sonos”, but it’s not as slick as we’ve come to expect from Sonos.

Please increase the limit to thirty-two characters from sixteen.

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 4 December 2019, 19:23

HI James, getting into voice control can be lots of fun, I hope you enjoy! I’ll pass along the request for the room name character changes. Voice control is something that’s constantly changing and getting better. One big thing they work on is having commands figure out what you’re calling for, without them being specific commands. For example, if you want to play Netflix, it won’t try to play from your speakers, and if you try to turn off the volume, it won’t target your lights.

If you’re using Alexa, you can place Sonos speakers into room groups, so in the Alexa group “Living Room” you could have Sonos speakers called “Living Room” set up as preferred speakers. And then, if you called for “Play x in the Living Room”, it would play in the Sonos speaker, if you called for Music. You could also experiment with alternative names as well, such as calling the room “Den”, “Salon”, or “TV Room” for less characters.

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

HI James, getting into voice control can be lots of fun, I hope you enjoy! I’ll pass along the request for the room name character changes. Voice control is something that’s constantly changing and getting better. One big thing they work on is having commands figure out what you’re calling for, without them being specific commands. For example, if you want to play Netflix, it won’t try to play from your speakers, and if you try to turn off the volume, it won’t target your lights.

If you’re using Alexa, you can place Sonos speakers into room groups, so in the Alexa group “Living Room” you could have Sonos speakers called “Living Room” set up as preferred speakers. And then, if you called for “Play x in the Living Room”, it would play in the Sonos speaker, if you called for Music. You could also experiment with alternative names as well, such as calling the room “Den”, “Salon”, or “TV Room” for less characters.

Badge

Unfortunately my TV also has Google Assistant.  So a request to, “Play Radio Four in the Living Room”, will sometimes arrive at the TV; all be it, then coming out of the Beam via ARC.  At least initially, I need to differentiate between the TV and the Sonos.

Does anyone have any experience of how clever the assistants are with abbreviations?  I could go, “Living Rm Sonos”

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Name recognition is made better with use. The more common a name is, the better an assistant is at picking up that room name. For example, there are a lot more rooms named “Man Cave” than there are “Greg’s card room” so your voice assistant is better at hearing you say “Man Cave”. Abbreviations are generally not going to be as used as other room names. Maybe something like “Main Room” would work for you. It’s distinctive enough, and probably short enough too.

A lot of people in UK will call the Living Room the Lounge, so Google Assistant should find it a common enough label to recognize well and it saves you 5 characters. 

Badge

Regarding the room name, I had to compromise with “Main”.

I actually found that although Google assistant will allow any room name length and device name length, an theoretically still associate it with the correct back-end Sonos device; it was flaky and failed more often than not.  All devices really need to be the same name on the device and in ‘Assistant.