Removing the 'On this iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch' feature

I bought all my Sonos products so that I would have the simplicity of using my iPhone to play the tracks I had bought on iTunes through my Sonos in most of the rooms in my home. I could just take my phone out of my pocket and control my music.
Apparently, no longer.
You are now writing this off “because it’s unreliable”! It’s never been unreliable!
You’ve just removed the ‘raison d’être’ for Sonos. A very expensive mistake for many customise myself.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Why not add the the half dozen other threads that discuss this? That way you will have an idea of why this was done and what the alternatives.
How did Sonos deceive you? Where was “On this iPhone” an advertised feature?
Simplicity was.

How did Sonos deceive you? Where was “On this iPhone” an advertised feature?Simplicity was.

Relative term and highly subjective at that. Most people would consider playing from all the alternatives as simple, especially since one of them was originally the only way to play music on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Could somebody explain what the problem is. I copied my ITunes library to Googleplay and can still hear all my music on my Sonos speakers. Any music added to ITunes is automatically added to Googleplay. No cost, up to 50,000 songs are free. I just don’t see what the fuss is about.
Like many others I protest Sonos to remove ‘on this ipad, iphone’ feature. The only reason I put all my other equipment away and buy sonos is that. Dont reply me with ‘but you can use same feature with AirPlay because I dont know if my Sonos devices are AirPlay2 compatible and if not, this is not my fault, it is Sonos who deceive customers with non sustainable features and I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
How did Sonos deceive you? Where was “On this iPhone” an advertised feature?
Like many others I protest Sonos to remove ‘on this ipad, iphone’ feature. The only reason I put all my other equipment away and buy sonos is that. Dont reply me with ‘but you can use same feature with AirPlay because I dont know if my Sonos devices are AirPlay2 compatible and if not, this is not my fault, it is Sonos who deceive customers with non sustainable features and I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!!

If you don't know if your Sonos devices are Airplay 2 compatible, shouldn't your first question be "Are my xxxxx Sonos devices Airplay 2 compatible?"
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Play:1 and Playbar listed, so probably not!

Still comes back to “where was that feature advertised?” though.
You have Airplay compatible speakers so you can still play from your phone to any of your speakers. The controller app for iPhone works just as it always has done. You are virtually unaffected by this change and should be embarassed about your rant.
I bought all my Sonos products so that I would have the simplicity of using my iPhone to play the tracks I had bought on iTunes through my Sonos in most of the rooms in my home. I could just take my phone out of my pocket and control my music.
Apparently, no longer.
You are now writing this off “because it’s unreliable”! It’s never been unreliable!
You’ve just removed the ‘raison d’être’ for Sonos. A very expensive mistake for many customise myself.

Three out of 4 of your speakers are Airplay 2 compatible, so your ‘raison d’être’ is just fine and dandy. Matter of fact, it is even better off than using the steadily declining in reliability "On this iPhone" implementation.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

How did Sonos deceive you? Where was “On this iPhone” an advertised feature?Simplicity was.

You have a Play:5. Use AirPlay.