One year on: Sonos One + Google Integration = Total Trash. Have you given up Sonos Tech Team?

• 16 December 2020
  • 7 replies

I waited to buy Sonos until Google was integrated and invested on a Sonon One in December last year.

It is crap.

@Patrick Spence, your team have failed to deliver anything like what can be described as acceptable. Have they give up on the ghost? Was it just too difficult for them to work the api and integrate?

Is there no experience on the team? Does creating “exciting” new thingys mean more to them that to fix a failed product?

The kit does not talk to or remotely integrate with Google Speakers - something so very basic. That is what it is all about.

What a total waste of money.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I am afraid you have totally misunderstood the situation here.  Sonos have been making whole-home audio systems since 2005.  A couple of years ago they introduced the possibility of controlling Sonos by voice, and Google’s voice offering was one option.  Sonos speakers are voice-enabled speakers.  They are not Google Home devices, or Amazon Alexa devices. 

There has never been a suggestion that Sonos speakers would ‘integrate’ with anybody else’s systems or speakers, and I personally doubt that will ever happen.  I certainly had no expectation that anybody was even trying.  Voice control has been integrated, but not systems.  You go fully Sonos if you go Sonos.

I am sorry you are disappointed, but I don’t think the outcome you want has ever been contemplated by Sonos, and certainly not promised.

I'll chime in with support... 

I too bought sonos speakers after reading that they integrated with Google Home - which they do, only to be disappointed with the implementation. 

Sonos is taking a very strong stance against the consumer - it has already integrated with Google Home but doesn't allow it's speakers to be placed in groups. My other "non-google" devices lack this restriction and work beautifully with their competitor's counterparts. Why is it that Sonos fanboys think that Sonos can't do the same? Further, I'm not sure when Sonos thinks it became the standard in audio quality,  but my component system sounds far superior and my receiver integrates natively with Google home. Basically, of everything that I have and use, the Sonos speakers are the most frustrating thing that I want to love but just can't. 

Dear Sonos - please remove your heads from the sand.

I suspect that you have lost more in sales by not supporting full Google home integration than you ever gained by avoiding it. Further, if your products are as superior as you want to portray, you shouldn't need to force people in to your ecosystem by being incompatible with others - you charge too much and we expect more. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So your only complaint is the lack of integration with other Google assisted speakers?  What other makes do this better in your experience?

Sonos is taking a very strong stance against the consumer - it has already integrated with Google Home but doesn't allow it's speakers to be placed in groups. My other "non-google" devices lack this restriction and work beautifully with their competitor's counterparts.

Sonos fanboy here with a question.  Which of these other non-Google speakers are from multiroom audio systems?

I am afraid you have totally misunderstood the situation here.  Sonos have been making whole-home audio systems since 2005.  A couple of years ago they introduced the possibility of controlling Sonos by voice, and Google’s voice offering was one option.  Sonos speakers are voice-enabled speakers.  They are not Google Home devices, or Amazon Alexa devices. 

There has never been a suggestion that Sonos speakers would ‘integrate’ with anybody else’s systems or speakers, and I personally doubt that will ever happen.  I certainly had no expectation that anybody was even trying.  Voice control has been integrated, but not systems.  You go fully Sonos if you go Sonos.

I am sorry you are disappointed, but I don’t think the outcome you want has ever been contemplated by Sonos, and certainly not promised.

I bought two speakers 6 months ago and simply assumed they would support chromecast (given assistant support etc), as virtually every speaker in the market does that, and especially at this price point. It does work with Spotify, but this means I need another set of speakers to support chromecast (ex for Youtube audio or my MP3:s). I realize Sonos have their own apps but they are bleak compared to the native apps, and borderline useless in some cases. Is that a sustainable strategy considering the on-going innovation and sheer volume of multimedia services in the market?

Needless to say, I´m not going to continue to invest in the Sonos eco system, and will be selling my units on the second hand market. 

I know they support airplay but I happen to have several Android devices so I´m not switching to Apple any time soon. 

So your only complaint is the lack of integration with other Google assisted speakers?  What other makes do this better in your experience?

A lot of folks here, and other forums, are complaining about the lack of chromecast support. It also appears the assistant has many restrictions in the type of commands supported etc. 

A lot of folks here, and other forums, are complaining about the lack of chromecast support. It also appears the assistant has many restrictions in the type of commands supported etc. 

You are totally missing the point about Sonos' intentions for Google Assistant. Please see my first post on this thread.