No Chromecast support - Returning product

• 13 December 2020
  • 64 replies

Show first post

64 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

I think there may be an element of irony in @Smilja 's post.

Oh. So what does @Smilja mean? No, seriously, I’d like to know!

Just to make things clear, I’m not trying to be ironic here. Or funny.

In case this is veering off too much from the actual subject, please let me know, thanks.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I recently sold all my Sonos speakers (1 x Play 5 and 3 x Play 1) plus decided not to buy the Arc and the Sub.

Instead I got a Chromecast compatible sound bar with subwoofer, 3 new Nest Audio and a Google Home Max. They all work beautifully as a whole home sound system where I get to Cast from different services directly and mix and match which ones I want to play. Sure, the sound quality may be one step below but they still sound great, work a lot better than Sonos for homes with Android devices and it’s a lot more straightforward for everyone to understand how to use them, as they can just use their favorite app instead of being forced to leave their app and open the subpar Sonos app to search for their music.

Sorry but Sonos is wrong to leave out a big portion of potential users by implementing only Airplay and not Chromecast. Your speakers are not that good to offer a subpar experience and still pretend to sell users your expensive hardware.

Hi @hawki, Thanks for reaching out, and welcome to the community. We appreciate your feedback about having Chromecast with Sonos. We'll make sure that we'll pass this on to our engineering team as a feature request. Rest assured that we'll try our best to improve your experience with our Sonos products.

If you have other questions about your Sonos products and services, feel free to reach out.

Pathetic response and customer service from Sonos. I too am looking for alternatives to Sonos. In this connected world we live in...Sonos is an island!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I'm not lawyer and I don't have personal interests in any of these companies, if Google is really infringing patents that's for a judge to decide. I only can say that they allowed me to have a more usable system than Sonos so they're doing it better, having patents is not enough to have a good product, you have to work to make it constantly better and more accessible for everyone or someone else will do it and that's what's happening here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Good luck with Google. They drop systems and features at their whim. Just found out my Google stored photos are next on their hit list.  

I suppose it’s part of the match towards subscription services by every company😳

Good luck with Google. They drop systems and features at their whim. Just found out my Google stored photos are next on their hit list.  

I suppose it’s part of the match towards subscription services by every company😳

Also see this...

www.theverge.com/2020/12/14/22175243/google-home-max-discontinued-smart-speaker-support

Hi,

So I just purchased the Sonos 1 (Gen 2) assuming it’s compatible with Chromecast. 

I have a projector that has the new Chromecast TV plugged into it. The projector has a horrible sound so I used to have a Bose speaker connected to the projector via Chromecast TV. 

Chromecast TV has bluetooth integrated in it. Is there a way to connect the Sonos speaker to it and use it as an output for the sound?

Userlevel 1

Quite embarassing

My experience with Sonos in a nutshell

My experience with Sonos in a nutshell

You resurrected a month old thread for this?

No I don't think there is. But the Sonos One is designed to be purely for music, not AV applications.  

You should consider a Sonos product that is intended for AV applications (although even they are geared more to TV than projector but it's doable). 

Hi John,

Can you please tell me which Sonos products are intended for AV applications? 

So I just purchased the Sonos 1 (Gen 2) assuming it’s compatible with Chromecast. 

There are so many flavours of technology. I never assume anything. I study the specs. 

Hi John,

Can you please tell me which Sonos products are intended for AV applications? 

The Arc, the Beam and the Sonos Amp.  Also tne Playbar and Playbase if buying used.

Gutted but just returned my newly bought Sonos One today because I wouldn’t be able to group it with my other ‘Chromecast enabled’ speakers. Loved the design and sound but lacking this feature was a deal breaker for me. Will order a HK citation one instead.