My Cloud Home and Sonos

• 26 November 2021
  • 5 replies

I’ve loaded my library into the My Cloud Home (MCH), I’ve got MCH as a music service in the Sonos app.  Everything appears to be fine, but I can only play one or two songs before I get “Unable to play '[song title]” - the connection to My Cloud Home was lost" The MCH is plugged into my router, as is my Boost.  Sonos works fine playing from my computer, Spotify, Sonos Radio, etc etc….just won’t play reliably from My Cloud Home.  I’ve searched the net, and this site, and it’s not an uncommon problem, but I can’t see where anyone solved it.  Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

How close together are the MCH, Boost and Router? Try to keep them apart by one metre as a minimum. Also set the Router’s 2.4Ghz Wifi channel to a fixed non-overlapping channel, use either  1, 6 or 11 and a channel-width of 20MHz to keep interference to a minimum. 

As you are using SonosNet, also set its channel so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel. See if those few things improves the connection between your wired library and speakers… if problems persist, try a different Ethernet cable and router port for the MCH device and/or Boost, to try to eliminate those wired connections as being the cause of the issue too.

How close together are the MCH, Boost and Router? Try to keep them apart by one metre as a minimum. Also set the Router’s 2.4Ghz Wifi channel to a fixed non-overlapping channel, use either  1, 6 or 11 and a channel-width of 20MHz to keep interference to a minimum. 

As you are using SonosNet, also set its channel so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel. See if those few things improves the connection between your wired library and speakers… if problems persist, try a different Ethernet cable and router port for the MCH device and/or Boost, to try to eliminate those wired connections as being the cause of the issue too.

I really appreciate the reply and advice. I tried, and it didn’t help. Is anyone here successfully using the My Cloud Home?

I really appreciate the reply and advice. I tried, and it didn’t help. Is anyone here successfully using the My Cloud Home?

Did you try the different WiFi Band and SonosNet channel combinations? I’m surprised one of the pairs did not work for you - maybe post your Sonos matrix here to see what the interference levels are around your products.

What file types/bitrates are the tracks you are streaming across the network?

This has been going on with me for 2+ years - “Unable to play '[song title]” - the connection to My Cloud Home was lost". MANY calls to Sonos tech support - they say “you need to restart every 2 weeks”. This rarely fixes it for more than a few days if at all, I have 11 $peaker$ - would love to have my money back. Tech support is not helpful. 

This seems like such a simple piece of functionality, and one I thought would come with my system. Nope.

One day, a Senior Sonos engineer will look into this and stop asking us to “move things around”, “change channels”, and “restart” - and simply comb the logs, find the recurring issue, and make it a priority. Until now, I know I’m at the bottom of a bigger pile. 

Not good.

This has been going on with me for 2+ years - “Unable to play '[song title]” - the connection to My Cloud Home was lost". MANY calls to Sonos tech support - they say “you need to restart every 2 weeks”. This rarely fixes it for more than a few days if at all, I have 11 $peaker$ - would love to have my money back. Tech support is not helpful. 

This seems like such a simple piece of functionality, and one I thought would come with my system. Nope.

One day, a Senior Sonos engineer will look into this and stop asking us to “move things around”, “change channels”, and “restart” - and simply comb the logs, find the recurring issue, and make it a priority. Until now, I know I’m at the bottom of a bigger pile. 

Not good.

I just ended up returning My Cloud Home. Nothing I did helped at all.