IFTTT - If This Then That integration with Sonos

Userlevel 3
If-This-Then-That (IFTTT) integration could be cool. You could expose playlists to IFTTT as either triggers and/or actions. Use cases could be when a certain playlist is started trigger lights (via WeMo or Hue). So for lighting, a "Dinner" playlist could set a particular light pattern via Hue, or turn off some lights and dim others. You could also start a playlist when motion is detected via a WeMo motion detector, or when a switch is turned on, start a playlist. You could use a special playlist to provide a house-wide audio notifier of new emails, Facebook/Twitter/app.net mentions, or Google Calendar events.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

138 replies

Thanks Peter, I was just about to buy the Revolv but then saw that SmartThings is opening up connectivity to third party apps including sonos, hue, wemo, and more to follow. I already have the SmartThings so I wrote them to see if I can get access to the SmartLabs (which you need to access the unreleased apps). I am going to hold off getting the revolv to see if SmartThings can do it. Seems that it will work well and I like smartthings anyway... Also nice to save $299! I will post back when I am able to try it!
Userlevel 1
I was an early investor in SmartThings, but it was too buggy in the early days. Revolv has it's issues too, and there's no way (yet) to build rules. I have all kinds of reliability issues with Wemo. Then I'm also invested in WigWag, Goldee Canary.....the first gizmo that comes out that can glue all of this stuff together will take the crown, I'm just not sure which it'll be yet! Good luck with Smart Things, they seemed to be a good bunch of guys. I'm happy to switch bits of my HA platform out, but the only two that will always stay are Nest, and, of course, Sonos. Bring on IFTTT!
Awesome! Ya I just keep adding new things as I find them and it will be nice to have something that brings them all together. For now, IFTTT surely seems like the easiest solution. It's such a great tool!
Yes please! I have 3 Sonos speakers and am looking to buy 4-5 more if integrated with IFTTT
Alright, I am on day three with my SmartThings Labs access and have successfully integrated my Sonos, Nest, WeMo, and Hue. I still have some things to work out but I can have my music turn on when I get home, lights turn on in specific rooms, switch the fan on, and set the heat/ac to my desired temp. Can also do the opposite when I leave. There is a lot of coding that needs to be done, but luckily, most of it has already been done by the SmartThings Build community. I would highly recommend it, especially if you already have a SmartThings or are thinking of getting one. Once you get your account, you just have to send an email to labs@smartthings.com asking them to give you access to the labs.
Would be great of IFTTT but I'm not one that likes to wait!
Would be great on IFTTT but I'm not one to wait!
Please Integrate Sonos with IFTTT!!
Why and how would you "build" Sonos into your house? The whole point of Sonos is that you don't need to rig your house in audio...
Userlevel 1
Most of my Sonos system is built-in to the house, in terms of speakers in the ceiling, that are all home-run back to a central closet where my Sonos zone controllers are.  The Play 1, 3 and 5 (I have one of each) are great for portability, but for a more integrated look, many of us use more discreet speakers.
Userlevel 1
Most of my Sonos system is built-in to the house, in terms of speakers in the ceiling, that are all home-run back to a central closet where my Sonos zone controllers are.  The Play 1, 3 and 5 (I have one of each) are great for portability, but for a more integrated look, many of us use more discreet speakers.
So Sonos isn't build in per say. The setup you describe would work with any centralized receiver or amplifier if I am not mistaken.
Userlevel 1
Yep, that's true.  I guess it's the definition of 'built-in'...I still designed my house, and ran wires with Sonos in mind (and am about to do the same in my next house), but the only 'fixed' end points are the speakers, everything else (the controllers) are wireless, so it's less like a traditional built-in, centrally amplified system.
Userlevel 1
Hi Peter, I am not having a go at you or the definition, and it is a good point to have the "back end" in mind when building a house. I live in a 100 year old building where this isn't an opportunity and Sonos is as we know also great when you are limited to old brickwork and so forth. My initial comment was based on the fact that this is a forum that Sonos actually participate in. Also, the thread is on IFTTT which makes a remark about building Sonos into a home as a way of persuading Sonos to add this feature, obsolete.
Userlevel 1
Absolutely agreed, and yes, IFTTT would be an awesome feature for Sonos to adopt, and set them apart from some of the other companies that are finally starting to develop wireless solutions.
And this....http://www.patricklenz.co/blog/2014/1/1/last-one-out-turn-off-the-music
Userlevel 1
Good info, but realistically all too complicated for your average consumer.  All we need is for Sonos to embrace IFTTT.....
Yes please! I want IFTTT to tell Sonos to start a playlist automatically when I get home. It'd be cool to have it turn off music when I leave home automatically. I could play a song when my favorite sport team scores a goal. I could have audio notifications for emails or weather alerts. SOOOO MANY USES, PLEASE do ! Simple : go here : https://ifttt.com/platform
Yes please! I want IFTTT to tell Sonos to start a playlist automatically when I get home. It'd be cool to have it turn off music when I leave home automatically. I could play a song when my favorite sport team scores a goal. I could have audio notifications for emails or weather alerts. SOOOO MANY USES, PLEASE do ! Simple : go here : https://ifttt.com/platform

AGREE...  Would love to see IFTTT & Sonos seamless!
A belkin wemo motion could turn on Sonos I would have one in every room!!
AGREE...  Would love to see IFTTT & Sonos seamless!
A belkin wemo motion could turn on Sonos I would have one in every room!!
IFTTT with sonos would allow me to play a certain song when my team scores a goal, or when I get a email from a certain person...the possibilities are endless!
There is no need for IFTTT integration with SONOS anymore. SmartThings picked up the slack and did a GREAT job! I can play songs when I get home, when my team scores, tell my dogs to get out of the room, tell me goodmorning when I press my UP band button, etc etc. shit is off the chains. If you like SONOS and are starting to get into home automation, buy a SmartThings starter pack and you will be extremely happy. They have come a LONG way in the last few months. IFTTT is still chill for a free service but it will never be as good as whoever wins in the home automation game, which at this point, looks like it's going to be SmartThings
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
There is no need for IFTTT integration with SONOS anymore. SmartThings picked up the slack and did a GREAT job! I can play songs when I get home, when my team scores, tell my dogs to get out of the room, tell me goodmorning when I press my UP band button, etc etc. shit is off the chains. If you like SONOS and are starting to get into home automation, buy a SmartThings starter pack and you will be extremely happy. They have come a LONG way in the last few months. IFTTT is still chill for a free service but it will never be as good as whoever wins in the home automation game, which at this point, looks like it's going to be SmartThings
Marcus,

Smartthings indeed looks promissing, but at the moment it's only available in the US. Besides that there are more home automation products and some of them have IFTTT support. I think IFTTT support for Sonos still makes sence and It would make endless things possible.
Funny you say that because I actually have smartthings and sonos. Smartthings works for about a week and then breaks and I have to reset everything. I've done it every week for the past 3 weeks. It's annoying and takes more effort than it's worth. I've had IFTTT recipes working for a year with no problems. I'd rather have IFTTT pick up the slack.
Userlevel 1
I'm yet to be super-impressed by SmartThings Sonos integration (hence why it's still in Lab's, I assume).  It certainly does not allow the kind of flexibility that IFTTT would.  For a start, it's painful to configure this kind of thing via the ST app...there's so many potential conditions and triggers, it takes forever just to create one event for a particular situation.  Plus, the handling seems kind of buggy; for example, I use ST to announce the weather forecast in the morning on a specific ZonePlayer.  What actually happens is that the weather gets half announced, then quits, and the music that was playing doesn't restart, even though that option was selected.  So it's OK, but definitely not amazing at this point.