IFTTT - If This Then That integration with Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

138 replies

Wouldn't the likely future intergration with Amazon Alexa/Echo bring about voice automation? ie Alexa switch sonos off, and they could all power down...maybe

That would only be possible if the Sonos units had an off function, which they don't (probably, there might well be a shutdown command left behind in the Linux OS they run but it's not commonly accessible to the users). So what you'd actually need is alexa integrated with your home power switches so you can command them to cut power when you want. That's a generic non-Sonos task though.
Jgatie, you should realize that this forum is mainly visited by existing Sonos users. It is not visited by the thousands of people who simply dont buy Sonos because of lacking functionality.
Even if you dont consider any new functionality being important for yourself, I do think that its of your interest that the product survives ?
Personally i had the system for seven year and its quite a small system of only five units, and what prevents me from expanding further is that my fear (really hoping im wrong) is that being the leader made them complancent, not understanding where the market is going. Do you remember Ericsson mobile phones ? Nokia mobile phones ? Seen them around lately ?

I have absolutely no idea what this has to do with my post. In fact, since my post brings up a blog entry that speaks to future expansion into voice control and other technologies, I'm even more baffled.
Wouldn't the likely future intergration with Amazon Alexa/Echo bring about voice automation? ie Alexa switch sonos off, and they could all power down...maybe

Uhhh. maybe. But I would rank it pretty low on priority. I don't know how many times you have rebooted a Sonos system, but I imagine people would be pretty frustrated if after saying "Alexa, play my morning playlist in the breakfast nook." she replies "Please wait 5 minutes while I boot up the Sonos system and bring the mesh online. Why don't you make some toast?"
Userlevel 1
I just bought a new house and have added a ton of automation to include the echo, lifx lights, august locks & door bell w/ keypad, smart things hub, scout alarm, etc. Everything in the new house will be connected. Even my garage door opener is internet accessible! I am interested in buying into the Sonos platform but am waiting to see what they do with things like ifttt and amazon echo integration. I want to be able to set an alarm that makes my lights turn on slowly, play music (sonos), start the coffee maker, and put the news on my television in the living room (harmony remote). The music is the part that is still missing for me.

Sonos - please let us know if you are going to add ifttt and/or echo integration. If you are, there are many people like myself who will buy in now and happily wait for these features. Until we know for sure if you intend to add them many of us will hold off or go to a different system should one become available that meets these needs/wants. Please let us know! :)

2 cents.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
At the end the Sonos Controller is an app. So it should not be so difficult to add a few simple options, such as geofencing, more sofisticated alarms , integration with Siri and Google voice to the apps without having to touch the Sonos embedded software. A perfect solution will requite time and resources, a first layer of imrpvements should be much simpler.....
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
the controller is a controller. It tells the speakers what to go and fetch. The controller has no other function that that. Once it has told the speakers what to do you can shove it down the waste disposal for all the speakers care.
If the controller streamed the content from the device to the speaker then your assertions could make sense. As that is not the case then the controller must, by its design and how the system works, remain a passive instrument.

In discussions such as these there seems to be a lack of fundamental understanding as to how Sonos works - active rather than passive speakers - which is unlike any other speaker which are purely passive i.e. They only receive a stream.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I disagree with you: of course the controller "tells the speakers to go and fetch" and than the speakers do their job on their own . That's precisely because of the way the system works, that it will be so easy for the controller to realize I am coming home thanks to the phone geofencing , and tell the speaker to be on again and play the same thing they were playing when I left home ( just to make a simple example) :. In fact i leave home and the controller pauses the system, I am back, and it "press" play again.

Basically, the controller has to send instructions to the sonos units because something is happening, rather than because I push the final button "play" .

On this respect, little difference between active or passive. With active it should be even simpler, the job to send instructions and to execute them being already well splitted.
They are active yes, but the controller send the instructions. Once the controller is able to send the intructions based on some algorithm rather than human touch, Sonos unit will do its job .
+1 Sonos really needs to add this integration. I have had the entry level play 1 for a while and love it, was thinking about expanding system but have since discovered IFTTT and its blown my mind, amazing. I'm not particularly invested in Sonos and as it doesn't look like they are going to add this are there any others on the market that do have IFTTT integration?
+1 This is an absolute must.
IFTTT turns out to be the center hub for a connected home, the fact that I can control everything, from my door to my light and heat, but not the music I'm playing is super frustrating.
I just bought my first piece of Sonos gear (Playbar) and I immediately began thinking of ways to use IFTTT to integrate Sonos into my home automation. So I'm here to pick up some cool IFTTT recipes from you guys. But where's the IFTTT channel?
@rickfarris there is no official Sonos channel and they've never given any indication that they would/have even look at adding this.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I utilize Smartthings hub to handle Sonos voice announcements and automated handling and If then integration with Sonos