Answered

Google Play Music Support

• 3 November 2018
  • 4 replies

SONOS needs to embrace wider voice connection than just Amazon Music. Google Play Music allows for far more flexibility and ease of access to personal music collections. My phone does it, my SONOS should!
icon

Best answer by MikeV 4 November 2018, 01:46

View original

Should the SONOS ONE (SONOS) actiovely attempt to support Google Play Music?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Google Play Music is available through the Sonos controller.

Google Play Music is not available through Alexa, and probably never will be. Google and Amazon are very hostile towards each other lately, specifically over Youtube and Amazon Fire TV devices, though it's spilled into other areas of both companies' businesses. Google likely has little desire to develop anything for Alexa given that they have their own voice assistant, and Amazon has their own music service, along with support for a number of other large players, so they're likely of the mind that they're not missing anything by not having GPM.

Eventually, when Sonos adds Google Assistant support, I'm sure we'll get the ability to use voice control to get music from Google Play Music too.
Am I missing something. I currently access Google Play music as a service on my Sonos system. Although Deezer is my first choice I have used Google Play Music on my system for a few years. Currently I access it because it is part of You Tube Premium which along with You Tube Music is not directly accessible via Sonos although using Chromecast I am able to work round the access issue for these but the package includes access to Google Play Music.
I am of course overlooking your desire for Google voice control.
Obviously the proprietor of Alexa (i.e. Amazon) disagrees.Indeed. It would be a neat trick for Sonos to incorporate Google Play Music via Alexa before Amazon do. And when will Amazon incorporate the music service run by one of its huge global tech rivals? At about the same time as it incorporates Apple Music, I should think.

Of course, Google Assistant is coming to Sonos... sometime, and with it I guess Google Play Music (or its replacement).
Obviously the proprietor of Alexa (i.e. Amazon) disagrees.